Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Highway MPG; 2005 Forester, 2.5 N/A

The reason I am asking is that on the 2005 model, Subaru managed to do some minor tweaking on the engine to get a better mpg figure than the previous years.

Just wondering what is happening in the real world.

Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!

Denny

The reason I am asking is that on the 2005 model, Subaru managed to do some minor tweaking on the engine to get a better mpg figure than the previous years.

Just wondering what is happening in the real world.

Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!

Denny

Actually the engine has very little to do with mpg.

It is more about wind resistance, drag, weight, gears, etc.

Actually the engine has very little to do with mpg.

It is more about wind resistance, drag, weight, gears, etc.

Quote from Edmonds

What's New for 2005

"The base engine is enhanced this year with electronic throttle control, and a new four-speed automatic transmission is available. An air filtration system is now standard on all Foresters. Also new this year is the 2.5 XS L.L. Bean Edition, which includes a myriad of interior and exterior trim enhancements, rugged cargo area trim and a self-leveling rear suspension."

I cannot see anything other than what is listed as a reason for improvement in fuel economy of the 2005 model vs 2004.

Are you saying that the gear ratios have changed and curb weight reduced? And the 2005 model is more "slippery" than the 2004?

Just asking, as I really don't know.

Thanks.

Denny

When I first bought my 03 Forester, I was getting 28-32 mpg mixed driving.

Oddly enough, I started dropping over the next 2 years. Last month it ranged in the 23-26 mpg. And this was with a 5spd and regular and religious maintenance.

MPG were more consistant in the 93 Auto 2.2 Legacy I had previously.. which stuck around 26-28.

Check your filters (including fuel) and run some fuel injection cleaner through. Keep in mind that an engine's efficentcy decreases with age, but that sounds a bit much of a fuel economy drop; something may be amiss. Are you running the right gas? Newer Soobs need mid-test or better, older ones can get by on regular and still get normal gas mileage - and the 2.2 is known for being a rock-solid performer.