Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 OB Stereo replacement/Oil change questions

Hello, I'm a new 02 OB wagon owner. I have spent some time on this site reading up on general issues. I'm impressed w/ the knowledge base and willingness of people to help. I would like to wade in w/ a couple questions of my own.

I would like to replace my stereo/CD player w/ a 6 CD unit. Some of the posts I've read indicate this should be straight forward. What I didn't see was any information on removing the woodgrain trim around the stereo. Does anyone have any information on that?

Second question deals w/ changing the oil. The car didn't come w/ an owners manual so I am in the process of getting one (EBay). Access to the drain plug looks easy. Access to the filter doesn't. There's a plastic pan w/ an access hole it that appears you need to get the wrench thru. Does the entire plastic assembly need to come off? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks

Second question deals w/ changing the oil. The car didn't come w/ an owners manual so I am in the process of getting one (EBay). Access to the drain plug looks easy. Access to the filter doesn't. There's a plastic pan w/ an access hole it that appears you need to get the wrench thru. Does the entire plastic assembly need to come off? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks

Don't know about your stereo question.

To get to the oil filter, you must first remove the plastic pan...not the whole thing, but the 1 foot square access panel that is directly underneath the oil filter. There are 3, two-piece plastic fasteners that secure the plastic access panel to the entire plastic belly pan. Remove those 3 fasteners by sliding a flat head screwdriver and prying the center grey plastic fastener and pulling it down. Then pull out/down the black part of the plastic fastener. Then slide the plastic access panel forward.

Thanks

On my 01 OBW, that plastic pan you mention comes completely off. Take a look toward the front of that shroud. You'll see what appears to be a handle covered from the back by a rubber flap. In front of that there are 3 plastic screws and mollys. You may have to pry the screws a bit to get the out, and once you remove the mollys, that whole shroud pulls straight out the front, giving full access to the oil filter above. Once I figured that part out, it was clear sailing.

Here is a link to a site that gives some info for the Imprezza. I would suspect yours may be similar to it.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalSubaruImprezza.htm

Cougar,

Thanks for the link but it appears the Imprezza is a little different from my OBW. I don't have the cup holder on top that allows me to get access to the woodgrain trim piece that surrounds the stereo and HVAC cluster.

Would the Service manual contain this info? What are your thoughts on buying the CD version of the manual on EBay vs buying the books?

Thanks,

Tim

On my 01 OBW, that plastic pan you mention comes completely off. Take a look toward the front of that shroud. You'll see what appears to be a handle covered from the back by a rubber flap. In front of that there are 3 plastic screws and mollys. You may have to pry the screws a bit to get the out, and once you remove the mollys, that whole shroud pulls straight out the front, giving full access to the oil filter above. Once I figured that part out, it was clear sailing.

unverviking and Strakes - Thanks for the tip. That looks a lot easier than ripping out the entire pan assembly.

Cougar,

Thanks for the link but it appears the Imprezza is a little different from my OBW. I don't have the cup holder on top that allows me to get access to the woodgrain trim piece that surrounds the stereo and HVAC cluster.

Would the Service manual contain this info? What are your thoughts on buying the CD version of the manual on EBay vs buying the books?

Thanks,

Tim

The service manual will have this information. You can go with either a CD or book. I've always prefered books myself but the whole set is fairly spendy to purchase new. I managed to get a used set off Ebay for my '01 OB and saved about half over the new cost. It was well worth the cost in my opinion. I will try looking up the info in my manual since they should be the same most likely or close at least.

In section 7 of the manuals for my '01 OB it shows the panel that the shifter goes through just needs to be pried up. This will expose two screws at the bottom of the verticle panel that need to be removed, then pry the panel out and remove a connector. This will then expose the radio mounting screws.

In section 7 of the manuals for my '01 OB it shows the panel that the shifter goes through just needs to be pried up. This will expose two screws at the bottom of the verticle panel that need to be removed, then pry the panel out and remove a connector. This will then expose the radio mounting screws.

Hi Glen,

I have successfully removed the shifter panel. I don't see the two screws at the bottom of the vert panel. I have a few pix I took but I can't upload them due to size constraints. I think my next course of action is to buy the service manual. I'm a little nervous because the one I am looking at is for 2000 - 2004 Outbacks, and that is what you have. Does a call to the dealer make sense?

Thanks,

Tim

That panel is supposed to pop out also, just like the first one. If you don't see any screws, then I would try pulling it from the bottom and see if it will budge.

The service manual didn't have a lot there for this. It just showed a couple drawings and a short proceedure that I basically told you.