Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

95 legacy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 swilde20

swilde20

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • mayville

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:47 AM

I Have A 95 Legacy Ls Awd Wagon. My Question Is Does The Abs Sensors Have Anything To Do With The Awd. It Seems Like The Rear Wheels Don't Push As Much As I Thought They Would In The Snow. I've Had A 90 Loyale With Awd That Pushed Alot More Than This Car Seems To. Help!!!!

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,563 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

I think the AWD system may use the ABS sensors to detect wheel slippage. If a front wheel is spinning too fast I think it changes the amount of drive to the rear.

#3 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:31 PM

I Have A 95 Legacy Ls Awd Wagon. My Question Is Does The Abs Sensors Have Anything To Do With The Awd. It Seems Like The Rear Wheels Don't Push As Much As I Thought They Would In The Snow. I've Had A 90 Loyale With Awd That Pushed Alot More Than This Car Seems To. Help!!!!

Auto or manual? If its an auto then only 10% of the power is going to the back...until it starts to slip.

#4 JT95

JT95

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • Bowling Green

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:18 PM

I've got a 95 Legacy as well--LSi wagon. I have the automatic transmission. I don't "feel" the rear power like I expected when I first started driving the car--and I discovered it's usually just 10% power to the rear--but I can tell a difference between it and a regular FWD car. I have done a fair bit of snow and/or ice driving since getting the Sube this past year--you feel the rear when it needs it. Though I'd like a nice 50/50 split all the time, it's still not a bad drivetrain. I was really impressed with the handeling.

#5 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:28 PM

Just for a HOOT-- put a 20 amp fuse in the FWD plug (under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall) and drive around in the snow without AWD for a few minutes. You'll want to pull it out as soon as you experience the difference.

***Automatics only!!!***

Oh yeah...the ABS has nothing to do with the AWD.

:grin:

#6 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:39 AM

Oh yeah...the ABS has nothing to do with the AWD.

:grin:

In the VDC or whatever, dosn't it provide traction controll by applying the brakes to spinning wheels?

#7 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

Yes...it does on the VDC models, however the subject car is a MY95 LSi.

So let me revise my statement:

Other than a VDC models, the ABS has nothing to do with the AWD.

Sorry for the confusion. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users