Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale, Crazy oil consumption.

Howdy all,

Got a 91 loyale, 146k that is acting up. I was driving over the altamont pass here in Northern CA. I was on the boost and noticed a huge (I mean HUGE) cloud of smoke in the rearview. I was driving around 75mph passing a big rig going straight up hill too. I arrived in Stockton to the sound of lifters ticking away (loud). Pulled it over immediately, checked the oil and it was over 2qts low!!!!!! back window covered in an oily film.

well, 10 qts later I made it back to Berkeley added a can of engine restorer and now she is running up to par again. Drinking oil .5 qts per fill up What gives?

Thanks,

Solosidesupersmall.bmp

9 times out of 10, large amounts of oil consumption on EA-series engines are caused by PCV problems. Replace the valve with a genuine Subaru one (aftermarket ones have been proven over and over again not to work) and either clean out or replace all the hoses, and you're golden.

BTW: I'm currently working on a top secret PCV system mod that should eliminate oil consumption problems. It's about ready to test and I'll reveal it if the system works, but for now it's under wraps!

Snowman,

You are a stud. Changed the starter the other day. Accidentally knocked one of the lines from the pvc line loose. Reconnected it the other day and that was the problem. Oil consumption back to normal. Think I caused any ring or valve damage running low oil level? Just to make sure everything is on the p and up, I am going to clean the pvc out with some gunk.

9 times out of 10, large amounts of oil consumption on EA-series engines are caused by PCV problems. Replace the valve with a genuine Subaru one (aftermarket ones have been proven over and over again not to work) and either clean out or replace all the hoses, and you're golden.

BTW: I'm currently working on a top secret PCV system mod that should eliminate oil consumption problems. It's about ready to test and I'll reveal it if the system works, but for now it's under wraps!

Sweet deal:cool: .

Generally the only damage that is caused by malfunctioning PCV systems is that the cam seals tend to blow out if the system is blocked off and crankcase pressure gets too high. Since yours was just open for a while, no pressure could have built up and nothing bad should have happened.