Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you can all join in with. It's very simple & I hope it's new. (my apologies to Dave Mason)

I was having trouble finding another keyless remote for the '96 OBW. Ebay was driving me nuts with different #'s on the back ("oh sure it'll work" "I don't know check with your dealer")

SO: I searched for a keyless remote with matching #'s (GOH-MM6 for mine) & low & behold.... CADILLAC! you betcha... less money no hassles.

Just came in from reprogramming it (another breeze) [& some guy wanted to sell me the "reprogramming procedure"] and:

IT DOES WORK!!! I reprogrammed twice because it only opened the driver's door (you reading this Martin) so I did it again... now I can get the dog out of the back with out the key!

SO COOL!!

Later,

Peter

so Peter

as we discussed

what is getting programed

the car's receiver

or

the remote

I say the car's receiver

IT can store and respond to several different

input codes.

Thus being able to use several different remotes

Possibly only two - thus the problem I had testing the

third remote for my Impreza?

There are no DIP switches to change remote

codes that I know of so each must have

it's own code.

The remote is doing the transmitting

not the security system so

it must be doing the teaching

and the receiver the learning

so Peter

as we discussed

what is getting programed

the car's receiver

or

the remote

Skip:

As far as I can tell, the remote is "trained" to operate by the receiver in the car. My '99 will accept 4 remotes... however, after the first you must program some of the remotes at least TWICE... I don't quite get why.

I found that the Caddy remote needed to be put throught the cycle two or three times (forgotten already but I know it didn't take after the first attempt).

There is a warning regarding programming... not to do if anyone around you is programming OR USING another remote... don't try this in a parking lot.

It would also seem SKIP, that your other remote didn't program because it's from a different manufacturer or a different model (frequency) that's why I bought the only other one with the correct code GOH-MM6 on the back... even though there were alot of other remotes that looked the same & were for the same year.... there may have been a change by the code people then.

Later,

Peter

Yes the reciever is what is trained. The transmitted uses a complex algorithm to generate a sequence of numbers, each time the transmitter is used the next number in the sequence is transmitted to the receiver. The receiver knows what number to expect next because it uses the same algorithm and is programmed with the same seed.

I opened my Jeep fob and it has a Microchip LC554-019 in it. They don't have this particular chip on their website but this one is similar:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41189a.pdf