Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head gasket failures, which years, models?

Have been browsing this forum for the past year before joining , ( was so impressed with all the knowledge, this newbie still didn't feel worthy ) and all I can say is a big THANK YOU to all the moderators and posters who really know their stuff about Subies and have helped those of us don't. Best recommendations for mods and what to do about car problems I've gotten have from this site.

My question: Have searched the forums, but would like the definitive answer on how to tell if you have one of the Subarus prone to head gasket failure. I know phase one, 2.5 --- which are the phase 1? Do you go by model, year sold, VIN, manufacture date ?

Heard there's a 20% failure rate, so that means odds are in our favor, right? At what mileage does it begin to show ? I have a 2000 GT Wagon.

Personally I think there is more talk about failure than there IS failure... beinga 2000 I think you are in decent shape... its like 98's and stuff that I HEAR about having problems... (the phase 1's like you said)

Since you are in Oregon with most of us... you need to rallycross with us :headbang:

http://www.oregonrally.com Next one is in Hillsboro in about 3 weeks :bday:

You have a Phase II engine in your car. The Phase II does not blow the head gasket with the apparent alarming frequency of the Phase I.

Further the Phase tends to have an EXTERNAL head gasket failure. The engine weeps coolant. The Phase I tends to have INTERNAL gasket failures. The engine exhaust gases drive the coolant from the engine block and..... BAM... warped heads or even loss of the entire engine.

I would not be overly concerned about head gasket failure on the Phase II. But remember the Phase II still is an interference engine. Check and replace your timing belt on schedule. I hate interference engines- small gain, huge potential risk.

hey all

as i stated in a recent thread...

the Phase II's are starting to show up with

HG issues more frequently. :(

i work for subaru as does my other 1/2 (at 2 different dealerships)

and while the #'s are not those of the phase I's...

the phase II's with high (60k +) miiles...

are starting to creep in with HG issues....

i hope maybe it's a few freak cases?

but somehow i doubt it... :rolleyes:

best of luck to you...

(and to me too... i have a phase II 2.5)

cya

Jamie

hey Subiegal,

Which Dealerships do you and your other 1/2 work at and can you recommend a good service dept? I live in Seattle and have heard not many good and lot's of bad experiences with all the Seattle Dealership service departments. I work in Renton and Walker's is close by but a girl I work with took her OBW in and they gave her the run-around ($$$) and didn't fix a thing. Currently we have a 96 L wagon AWD and the AT OIL TEMP light flashes for a few seconds at start up. After reading this board it's hard to believe there is a competent service department out there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

hello :)

I work for carter subaru up north of seattle

http://www.cartersubaru.com

and my boyfriend Gary works for Auburn Subaru

close to you ;)

http://www.auburnsubaru.com

Gary is service writer there... even better!

and he's a true enthusaist who races,

modifies and knows these cars well.

You will not get any BS from him...

and as he's so close to your neck of the woods

i suggest you drop by there next time you

need a decent service dept ;)

hope this helps

Jamie

Thank you for all the info. I feel much better now about the head gasket issue. Well, except for Subiegal's comment about the phase 2 --- hopefully that is a very small minority.

Great link, Flowmastered ! I didn't know about the website and a rally here would be something to look forward to. Btw - is there any local Subaru dealer here in Portland that'll do warranty work without giving me the brush off?

• 1 month later...

Just had my 2000 Outback with 67K miles diagnosed with a external head gasket leak on the driver's side (left-hand). Going to have them fix both while they are at it for around $1200.

I've read else where that the replacement head gaskets for the 2000 2.5 are a different design than the originals....that shows to me that there is a known problem with the original design.

my 93 legacy wagon has 325,000 on it without any engine problems ever. All this 2.5 talk about headgaskets is making me think "non-subaru' when it comes time to get another used vehicle in the future. I was thinking of getting a used 2.5 with 100,000 or so, but I doubt it after reading about these headgaskets. I planned on getting a used 100,000er hoping to have something as reliable as my 2.2. seems that isn't the case, am I wrong?