Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick Question

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks now and I'e managed to work on it a little. I removed the bumper, grille, headlight surrounds, and the radiator. I had to use my Z car an a tow rope to pull out the front of the car enough to get the rad out. After a few burnouts I managed to get it almost straight. I think the car can be saved, but the rad was pushed back far enough where it sheered the oil filter in half, about 1/8 inch from where it screws on!

The only thing I still wonder about is the transmission. It didn't appear to lose any fluid, but the shifter won't go in first gear and when you put the car in park, the car won't hold itself.

Do these cars (automatics) have a mechanical or cable operated shifter? I can't get the car running and up on ramps yet to check it out. Also, anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up battery acid? I had a spare battery in the back of my sube and it got flipped up on end in the wreck, losing all of its' contents in my hatch area.

Well, regarding the acid, I wouldn't worry about if too much. It will have destoyed any textile that it touched. I would start out with lots of baking soda and water, dowse, rinse, repeat...repeat...repeat. I would probably also get some NOCO acid detect spray (form the makers of the battery post cleaner and sealers). This will let you know how whether you got it all or not.

The tranny linkage depends on the tranny. Your thread doesn't list what car/tranny... The 3-speed uses solid linkage with adjusters, and the 4-speed uses a cable with adjusters. If the adjustment is that far off, I would look for what shifted (as in tranny mounts broken or whatever). I assume this car was in an accident?

The tranny linkage depends on the tranny. Your thread doesn't list what car/tranny... The 3-speed uses solid linkage with adjusters, and the 4-speed uses a cable with adjusters. If the adjustment is that far off, I would look for what shifted (as in tranny mounts broken or whatever). I assume this car was in an accident?

Thanks for the info on the acid. I'll dump some baking soda on it and try and hose it out.

As for the car, yes it was in an accident http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31607

It's a '84 GL Wagon, 4wd, 3 speed auto.

I'll check, but I don't think they have been, the lines had rubber hoses at the ends, so that gave 'em a little flex. Suprisingly, even though the fan was mushed flat agians the rad and the brackets were broken, I don't think the rad got busted. It no longer fits in the car, so I guess I'll hit the junkyard soon to find another.

Check to make sure none of the AT fluid lines have been crimped either