Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed push button help

OK heres the deal the tranny shifts clean, up and down, has good responsivness

But as you increase your speed the noise gets louder and louder

Does not change or variate just getts louder .

Does not change with manipulatoin of the clutch.

I put the car up in the air and ran it. (all at idiol speed) the noise getts louder in each gear but does not stop or change upon clutch depression.

Ive tried mutiple additive to no avail and its at the correct fluid level

NO change in 4WD

Any ideas or am I back to my market place post Thanks LT

Check the diff fluid. Theres a dip stick for it, passenger side I believe. Then check the fluid for the tranny. This I think you need to remove a plug on the side to check, theres 2. One to use to fill and the other for draining. I'll go out and check mine to make sure.

*Update - Thats the skinny. You will have to jack the car up and the plug is on the drivers side. The fluid should be up to the top hole. It takes 85W or 75W-90W.

Check the diff fluid. Theres a dip stick for it, passenger side I believe. Then check the fluid for the tranny. This I think you need to remove a plug on the side to check, theres 2. One to use to fill and the other for draining. I'll go out and check mine to make sure.

*Update - Thats the skinny. You will have to jack the car up and the plug is on the drivers side. The fluid should be up to the top hole. It takes 85W or 75W-90W.

:confused: how did I not know this? This is on a loyale MT, I presume?

I just looked at mine and found three similar looking bolts about 4-5 inches rear of the axle, are these them?

I had thought the tranny/front diff shared fluid?

No, the diff and tranny do not share fluids. Thats to kinky :-p

The "plugs" look just like that(they are innies, not outties), they need a square or hex head wrench to be removed. Someyimes a 1/2" drive rachet works.

ahh, so just like the rear diff plugs?

\me runs off to take another look

Well the three bolts are on the same case as the distick so thats not them

I could not see any bolts on the 4wd part just sensors for the dash cant find seperat filling holes

checked the rear diff levels also all levels correct and still shes wineing

umm - my 1985 FSM - it shows the front tranny and diff sharing the same fluid for the MT - AT they are seperate - this is for 4WD single and dual range - also the bolts you are refering to are supposed to be for retaining the shifting forks - removing them is not a good idea

the drain is supposed to be located in the center bottom of the case - for both front diff and tranny - you are supposed to fill through the dipstick hole - the seperate holes (check and drain) are for AT only

what the whine sounds like is a bad center bearing or a wheel bearing - is it comming from one side or the other? raise the car and put it into gear, and 4WD (all four wheels should be off the ground - go around with a stethoscope (with pointer on the end) and listen to each of the wheel bearings and the center bearing

Ok I think that there is some confusion here

Ilooked at two 4wd 5 speed trannies and I could not see any "innie bolt" now if your talking rear diff than yes they have been checked

there are no "innie" bolts on the transmission - you check with the dipstick and that checks both fluids (well, there is only ONE fluid) look in ANY manual for your car, and it will tell you that

there are no "innie" bolts on the transmission - you check with the dipstick and that checks both fluids (well, there is only ONE fluid) look in ANY manual for your car, and it will tell you that

Yea Thats what I thought but Turbones post threw me off

I think that it just ggot confused

• 1 year later...