Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester Transmission problem?

I have a 99 Forester, after a 30 minute highway drive with the a/c on I see lots of smoke from the engine compartment .

To shorten the story I am very sure it came from 2 little vent hoses on top of the auto transmission . The catalytic converter is just below so it was burning the atf = lots of smoke.

I did not notice any shifting problems during the drive. I had the fluid and filter replaced 9 months ago and have not added any atf during that time so it can't be overfilled.

Any ideas, other than this time I have never noticed it before. Thank you for any assistance.

I don't know if I can help, but others may be able to if you give us some more info.

You say it couldn't have been overfilled 9 months ago. Did you look?

Also, what is the level now(after the 'burp')?

Did you get a CEL or an AT Temp light.

Did you check any other fluids to be sure that's where the smoke came from?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Since the change I have checked the atf and it always was at the proper line.

When I looked at the area after the smoking incident I could see a trail of oil residue from below the vents down to the trans area above the converter so I am sure that was the cause. There were 2 drips of trans fluid in the garage below that area also.

When I drove home that night( return trip) there was no smoking, also the area under the car is always clean, never any drips, so I am assuming that this never happened before.