Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm back (and I need a Subaru)

Hey guys,

The site has changed a bit; it looks great. I think I have finally learned my lesson about Jeeps (Just Empty Every Pocket). I was getting ready to sell mine and now the tranny is going. Oh well.

I have been in Seattle and Alaska over the past 2 years working on NOAA ships. There are som many great subarus in both places! I have taken leave from work to finish school and I need cheap reliable transportation. And of course it has to be FUN cheap transportation. I am kicking myself for letting so many nice subarus slip by. I particularly wish I had bought that convertible in connecticut a year or two ago.

Anyway, my present situation is this: My girlfriend's dad wants to sell thier 87 dl 2wd auto 4 door. Not really my cup of tea except that i know he has spent serious cash keeping it running. He always takes it to a subaru dealer. He has painted it and done a bunch of stuff to it. It has over 180k on the clock and it is showing rust. I was going to offer him $500 and not have to worry about a car for a while. Appearantly he wants $1000. This is what my girlfriend said. Because of my situation, i am not going to be the one to tell him he is dreaming. I has thinking he would put it up for sale and find out what the market is, and then offer him $500. But now that the Jeep is dead again, i need a car pronto.

I would really like a Brat. I have some money saved, but I dont want to spend a lot. I am not opposed to something else. I was actaully getting kind of stoked on the DL that my girlfriend had. I was going to get some cool subie alloys, and tint the windows and get some roof racks and a nice stereo and just enjoy getting 30+ mpg again.

I have perused the marketplace forum. If you guys have any leads or comments, let me know. I would like to get back into the subie club for less than $1500.

-Jack (in Norfolk)

:banana: these things rule:headbang:

Jack:

I've got a pretty nice 85 2wd wagon. 110k only minor rust, and runs GREAT. Had it sold, but the guy couldn't come up with the $$.

I had thought about doing a 4wd conversion (ie this car is not your typical Ohio rustbucket). I have got a spare 2wd 5speed if thats your thing. Good "Alleycar" material...

Probably less than $500, depending on how you want it set up.

John