Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor,Tach and noise

Heres what is going on. I was in the car waiting for it to warm up. I was watching the tach go from 800 to 1300 and up to 1800 RPMS every few seconds. I opened the hood and heard a strange sound. I tracked it down to the distributor and you can feel the distributor when the noise and tach changes. It feels and sounds like a grinding from with in the distributor. I opened it up and found nothing weird, (new cap and rotor) no scratches on them. Can this be the vacuum advance unit malfunctioning?

I hope someone can help on this one. I have the timing set correct and I looked for and used soapie water to find any vacuum lines that might be bad, but couldn't find any. I have tightened the bolts on the carb,about 1/4 turn each. Didn't make any difference.

Did that and found it to be tight. I am going to check the timing again this morning and see if it's off. For some reason I can't remember removing the vacuum when I timed it last time. Could not removing it cause it to do this? And the advance is trying to adjust when it doesn't need to!

k well pull the disty from the car.. remember the exact position of the rotor, so when you put the disty back on the car, you get the timing right.

Now turn the disty by hand. It should spin without and binding, rubbing or grabbing. IF it does, the bearing/bushings are bad in the disty

• 3 weeks later...
I will give that a try if after I re-time it this morning doesn't work. Thanks guys for your input.

what is happening with your charging???? altenator charging too high??

one time I had my tach jumping for joy all the time.....lol....sometimes after I turned the ol heater fan on...... I changed the starter and voila...prob solved...so many little things that can happen.....

would check the altenator first....lol...

what is happening with your charging???? altenator charging too high??

one time I had my tach jumping for joy all the time.....lol....sometimes after I turned the ol heater fan on...... I changed the starter and voila...prob solved...so many little things that can happen.....

would check the altenator first....lol...

sorry changed the altenator not starter..lol..