Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help! Legacy ECU location

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 simbey1982

simbey1982

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

Where the heck is the ECU for a 90 legacy.

Thanks

Cory

#2 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:33 PM

Buried under the plastic behind the steering column to the left. IIRC.

No, the easy one isn't it. That's the TCU for the automatic transmission. If yours does in fact, have an automatic tranny.

Jay

#3 simbey1982

simbey1982

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

yeah i figured....doing a AT/MT swap.....the one in my impreza is under the floor board...oh well here i go...

thanks

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,639 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

for further reference

http://www.main.expe...ges/ecuhide.jpg

#5 91LegWagon

91LegWagon

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gig Harbir

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:55 PM

Josh,

I just printed out your picture on the ECU location which appears to answer the thread I just posted. About a year ago when I started this engine swap project (I got side-tracked) you answered my question on electrical issues associated with swapping a 90 Legacy engine (with Auto Trans) into a 91 Legacy with a manual transmission. You suggested swapping the MAF, ignitor and ECU from the auto trans engine (90 Legacy) into the 91 where I am retaining the manual transmission. I have completed the engine swap except for the ECU.
Any other suggestions on sensors, etc.?

for further reference

http://www.main.expe...ges/ecuhide.jpg

#6 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,639 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

Refresh my mind on what setup you're doing.

Basically you want to keep the sensors associated with the ECU. The sensors in question are:

MAF Sensor
IAC Valve
Injectors

The wiring harness of the car that's going to receive everything will also play a role in which ECU, Hitachi or JECS you use.

#7 91LegWagon

91LegWagon

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gig Harbir

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

Josh,

I am swapping an engine from a 90 Legacy with AT into a 91 Legacy with MT. I am keeping the MT.
I got the ECU swapped yesterday. I also swapped the intake manifold and injectors, MAF and ignitor from the AT car into the MT car (91 Legacy). Now the car will start and run. Haven't driven it yet. Looks like I need to swap the IAC.
Previously you had mentioned an AT/MT jumper on the ECU. I opened up one the ECUs and didn't see anything that looked like a jumper either inside or on the connectors. I am assuming I need to change the jumper from the AT ECU for a MT. Any idea how I can locate this jumper assuming it exists?

Bob

#8 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,639 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'm a little confused.

Which ECU are you using, the Hitachi (MT) or JECS (AT)?

If you swapped the AT ECU in, you really didn't need to do squat except swap MAF sensors.

When I say jumper, it's just a wire going from a certain pin on the ECU connector to ground.

I'm still unsure of which ECU you are using, so I don't want to recommend anything yet.

#9 91LegWagon

91LegWagon

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Gig Harbir

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:43 PM

Josh,

I swapped the AT ECU in and the car runs fine. So I'm happy. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users