Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from the cornfields of Illinois...

Hello! I'm Michael and I live in Chalreston, Illinois... I (kinda) drive a 85 Brat. Kinda, yeah,... well, I bought it for 700$ about a year ago and its done good but lately shes been givin me grief. First, none of the mechanics here like to work on it ;) The two that do dont seem to really like working on it... BUT, right now the problem is something to do with the fuel delivery. Its a 4speed manual... I can drive it sometimes, then out of no where it doesnt want to work... it just putters..sometimes it will kick in, but goes back to puttin along... well, first they tought it was the accelerator pump in the carb, so that was rebuilt but the problem was still there. Fuel pump was replaced and it worked for a while (i could still 'feel' the problem tho) but today the problem came back.. i'd have to give it a ton of gas to get it to move... and to make things even better the breaks give out at the same time. ;) So, the breaks dont work, break pedal just goes all the way to the floor with out doing anything. The fuel problem seems to be random.. very weird... So, any ideas ? something in the fuel tank ? fuel line, fuel filters? oh, the EGR light has always been on since ive had it but supposedly thats no big deal...I do not want to get rid of it but thats all I can think of at the moment.. yeah, long rambling first post, but bare with me.. SIGH,

-Michael

(p.s. anyone in south central illinois ? :)

I ran into this problem on my 86 Brat, and it turned out that there was alot of corrosion and junk in my fuel tank. I took a rust free tank off of a hatchback and put it under there. I never had any more problems with it! The hatch back tank isnt as long, so I had to make a bracket for the rear bolt holes. The front bolt holes lined up. Also, when you do this, make sure to change your filters! There are two, one under the hood, and one under the box, on the drivers side. I am not sure what is causing your brake loss, but best of luck to you! DOnt give up, or else they(?) win! Kurt

Wow, replies... thanks for the fast response guys..

What is Sea Foam and what do I do with it ? :) And the fuel filters.. I found one under the hood.. the other one, whats the box on the drivers side ?? Yeah, i dont want to give up.. i cant...I love the brat... theres a subaru wagon up the road that looks to be close to my year, im going to see if they want to get rid of it, its just sitting in there front yard.. So, what else could the fuel problem be ? what about the fuel relay and the fuel lines ? how can i narrow this down ? thanks again guys.. im hoping the break problem wont be bad... who knows, thankfully im getting my tax check soon ;)

look underneath the bed of the brat, right in front of the drivers side rear wheel. there is a bracket under there that hold the primary fuel filter.

change that out for sure... most likely your fuel issue...

check to see if you have any brake fluid leaking around the booster. (the big black part the master cylinder bolts to) If it is, then your master cylinder needs replaced or rebuilt.

SeaFoam is a engine tune-up/cleaner. works wonders on a gummed up carb and fuel lines. usually available at NAPA and Advance AutoParts.

And welcome to the Board :)

Hello. My name is Steve and I live just north of Peoria, Illinois. I had stumbling issues on a '85 wagon and I just took the tank off and cleaned it out thouroughly. I threw in some nuts and bolts with a little bit of gas and shook it around for a while, then rinse with a little gas and repeat. After doing that for a while I just retrieved the nuts and bolts with a magnet. Worked fine after that. I actually have a '84 brat thats just sitting right now that will probably be parted out and scrapped soon if you need any parts. There's a lot of corrosion on the body but most of the mechanicals are solid. It actually had the same stumbling issue you're having when it was parked and I was going to clean the tank out but left for school before I could get it done. Let me know if you're interested.