Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I had trouble installing the torque converter on my wifes Legacy after an engine swap. I have heard from MANY people that these are a pain in the rump roast to instal. It goes into the trans nice and smooth except for the last 1/2" or so.

I tried rocking it, spining it, beating on it.

I tried pulling the oil pump shaft out, it is locked in place.

I even pulled the trans out, stood it up on end and tried installing the damn torque converter that way! No luck.

I tried installing the engine and tightening the bolts to force it in! It just bends the flex plate.

I noticed a snap ring came loose inside the trans, I'm wondering if this has something to do with my delima.

I am WIDE open for suggestions, please someone sprinkle some pixie dust on this thing or somethin'!

-Chuck, pissed in Portland

Chuck....What age of Leg....???

And when you say a Snap ring came loose...??Where in the trans was it....

there is typically a Large outer piece of Shaft that comes out/stays with the Converter....this has a Thin snap ring about 1-3/4 to 2" round that can come off.....It is used as a retainer tool when pulling the Converter......I will have to look in the morning, but If my memory is right, it won't hurt anything to have that snap ring stay out.....do the ends on it come out at 90 degrees from the ring....?

if you are able call me in the Morning say around 10-ish, I'll look at one I have on the ground to verify, and Walk you through the install....

Nite, John in Eugene....

Thanks for the reply John. That snap ring is just how you described it.

I also posted this issue on another subaru legacy group and I get about the same recommendations from others. I have stood the trans on the output shaft and tried to install the torque convert that way, I was sure it would work but it didn't. I was told to remove the outer shaft and I tried but it wouldn't budge. I made a puller and welded a pipe to the outter shaft, it just pulled the weld out while the 2"x2" angle iron bent like it had 3000lbs on it. That thing is stuck! The inner shaft spins but the outter shaft is locked into place, no spin, nothing.

This is really killing me, I won't even let someone else change my oil but tomorrow I'm taking the trans to the transmission shop to have them give it a shot.

This is one serious engine replacement gone bad. My mechanical ego has been squashed.

-Chuck-

"I'm taking the trans to the transmission shop to have them give it a shot."

Sometimes it takes a fresh look to see what was there all along, like the guy who complained that "I cut that board three times and it is still too short".

Hope you find salvation at the tranny shop. I've been following your dilemna and dogged persistence. Let us know the outcome.

Wow so your saying the outershaft / Hollow tube with the 2 nubs on it won't pull out of the trans....??

If not, then you may have wedged and Foobared Something when you Forced the issue by bolting things down.....

Let me know if you Did thrash it, I have 2 Good Trannies here

With converters Attached......:) 300.00 each.....

Both will need a Flush, but not rebuilt.....One has 128,000 on it the other has 132,00

I'll be in Portland Tomorrow, Call me on my Cell....I have to go to Rallitek.....Be there most of the day....

John