Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seals in trunk? Why??

I have a near mint 93 Loyale Wagon 4wd with 52,000 miles. I went to the trunk couple weeks ago to retrieve a manual and found the pages damp and the carpet/pad that live there saturated. I dried everything out, kept the pad out and continued driving waiting to see if it happens again. Sure enough this was a very wet week and the trunk has puddles in it. I'm thinking road splash is working its way through the rubber seals. There are two that lay on the floor @ 2 1/4" dia. and four on the side walls(two per side) @ 1" dia., plus three plastic seal/plugs on the front wall. Can anyone tell me why these are there and can I caulk these tight?

Thanks

Rick:

Not sure if those plugs have a specific purpose. It is certainly a good design feature to be able to drain water from inside the cabin (incase of flood)

Unless those plugs are loose, I highly doubt that they are the source of your moisture. More likely weatherstripping or the window seal. There will probably some evidence of rust around the door or window if this is the case.

These leaks can be difficult to pinpoint unless you lock yourself in the cargo area with a flashlight and have a friend with a water hose spray water from the outside. Lucky for you that you own a wagon, and not a sedan!!

good luck, John

I noticed you live in rustville. Check the insides of the rear fender wells. If you don't see anything from looking between the wheel and fender, pull the interior panels and have a look. Subarus sometimes rust up in there, and yes, it IS structural. If there's rust holes in that spot, have reinforcements welded in IMMEDIATELY.

The sidewall plugs in the tool compartment give access to the bolts that hold the bumper in place, if I understand your question correctly. I recently installed a custom bumper, and left the plugs out for a while in order to establish that the new bolts were going to stay tight. Indeed, things got wet in there untill I put the plugs back in. I can't think of any reason not seal them with bead of silicone.

The bottom plugs or others I have no idea why they are there. Never had them out. Wouldn't be suprised if they give access to something. Pull them and look if you want.

Pyro