Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lightening EA81 flywheel

Hey there...

I would think that doing this would depend on what you want to do with the car. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on performance mods, but from what I've heard...

A "heavy" flywheel is what you want for something like rock crawling. Lots of mass spinning means lots of stored potential energy to transfer to the wheels....longer to spin up, but longer to spin down as well.

A "light" flywheel is what is wanted for engines that need to spin up into the powerband quickly, as in racing....quick revving, quick slowing.....as in rally maybe?

As for pro and cons...

Would less metal effect heat disappation for the clutch?

Cost?.... I would think any competent machinist should be able to lighten one up at a reasonable cost. Say shave a bunch off the deck and clutch face area. Punch a lot of holes around the edges...... be sure it balanced tho...:rolleyes:

Of course, what you might run into is a machinist that wouldn't want to do it for fear of modifying an "important" peice of a vehicle and being sued when it (if ever) fails. I ran into that problem with a guy that didn't want to lighten up some brake rotors for me on a custom car project. Rotors came off a 4500lb vehicle, but were being used on a project that came in at a massive 850 lbs. Slight over kill. But I had to search around a little before I found someone who would cut them down for me.

I hope some others can help here.....

Good luck,

NV

A "heavy" flywheel is what you want for something like rock crawling. Lots of mass spinning means lots of stored potential energy to transfer to the wheels....longer to spin up, but longer to spin down as well.

A "light" flywheel is what is wanted for engines that need to spin up into the powerband quickly, as in racing....quick revving, quick slowing.....as in rally maybe?

As for pro and cons...

Would less metal effect heat disappation for the clutch?

I was thinking that as well. Hadn't thought of the heat disappation tho.

A heavy flywheel will prevet the engine stalling or quickly slowing down when you let the clutch out.

A lighter flywheel will make the engine easier to stall, but will let it rev up faster.

If you lighten it too much, you won't be able to start your engine at all, so don't take too much off.

Ok. I think I'll leave it as is. I'll just make sure its right, cos of my clutch problem. Anyway, hopefuly getting a new (right) clutch tonight when my bro gets home. Thanks for your help, I wonder if making it heavier would have a benfit, I guess they (subaru) take a while making these cars, I'll leave it as is. Thanks again