Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester turbos are fast!!!

I was reading a article by car and driver, and they said they go the forester to do a 5.3 sec 0-60, and 13.8 quarter mile :brow:. Thats quite abit faster than the WRX, which last time i checked was 5.6 0-60, and 14.4 sec quarter mile. I think thats about as fast as a mithsubishi evo 8. Heres the article. http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6854&page_number=1

The reason the Forester XT is quicker than the Rex is because the transmission is geared significantly lower. Second gear, for example, tops out at 53 mph. Car and Driver "normallizes" their tests for a certain barometric pressure and humidity, so this may not be easily duplicated, but they also rated the WRX as 0-60 in 5.4 and the quarter in ~14 flat I think, so the Rex is still up there in quickness. Part of the XT's acceleration is that it is also significantly torgueyer (made that word up!) down low, with 235 lb-ft available at 3500 rpms or so, and more than 80% of that at 2000 rpms.

sorry i dident know this topic was covered, before this thread. Its been about 1,and 1/2 months since I been aculy using the board, vacation.

Just relized it was you super rally vovo. Yeah thats the first article ive read that said those types of numbers.

Someone like me, who uses their car daily and appreciates speed out of a turn or tearing rump roast through traffic, would love to have a Forester XT over a WRX. Although I'm sure the WRX has very good torque and handles better than the Forester, the displacement and torque advantages catch my attention. Those who have driven both state the obvious: The WRX is a more fun and involving car to drive, but the XT is much more tractable in daily driving...

Guest lothar34
Originally posted by scoobynuts

Hmmm....let's see, a heavier car, makes less boost, makes less horsepower, and is faster than a standard WRX.....not. I would not believe everything (or much of anything really) in those car mags.

I believe the magazine, but I don't believe the 210hp rating that Subaru gave that engine. The 235lb/ft may be understated also.