Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Lift kit probs with struts

Just finished installing the 4' front 3" rear kit from Ozified, which builds the BYB kit here in the states. Everything went together fine, except now the steering is hanging up/under tension. The prob is where the upper spring seat meets the factory top strut mount. This is the pivot point for the entire strut, and instead of rotating smoothly through the steering range, it is hanging up. When it reaches enough tension, it breaks loose, and you can watch the spring rotate quickly on the break. You can actually hear the clunk. ON the road, if I steer left, it won't return to center on its own, and pulls left. Same with right turns. There is no factory bearing, just a large greased washer with an oil seal. I did happen to buy new strut inserts since I had it all pulled apart (keeps the factory spring and upper seat/mount), and they look to be correct, but maybe something is up with these? Again, everything is installed per spec. Any idea on what could be wrong?

I love my Suby and need to get it back on the road/dirt, where it belongs!

Thanks ahead,

Carl

86 Brat

Arnold, MD

This seems to be the only problem with the PK kits, The instruction step saying to use a big hammer and beat the inner fender where the strut goes is not there.

Pull the strut back out.

You should see some wear on the black tar undercoat stuff. The wear SHOULD be on a little mound. Beat that mound flat!

You should probably lube up the struts up on top too. I had to lube mine after the lift because it took me a year to figure out my clutch issues so my struts got all dirty and crusty.

So pull the struts out and hammer away :)

Thanks guys...this is a big relief. I should have checked the clearance of the upper seat to the inner fender. I thought maybe I had mucked it up and would either need intensive angle mods or removal of the lift. Thanks for the quick response, you rock!!!