Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VW to Subaru part interchange

Just found out that the VW bug, rubber steering copular, is nearly identical to the Gen 1 cars! You know the rubber disk near the steering u-joint.

(Thanks Rattle wagon)

I installed it on by GF with 230K on it and what a difference! The steering is tight and very responsive. I had already replaced ball joints, inner and outer tierods, but this really tightened up the steering. Cost....$8

(Be sure to use your original 4 steel sleeves. The VW ones are a bit to big.)

Other VW parts.

Gen 1 staton wagon rear glass = VW beetle rear glass

Windshield washer sprayer = VW beetle washer sprayer

GF side glass seal. (seal between front and rear window) = VW beetle convertible side glass seal.

Does anyone know other interchanges??

Todd

good info, thanks. dp

Just found out that the VW bug, rubber steering copular, is nearly identical to the Gen 1 cars! You know the rubber disk near the steering u-joint.

(Thanks Rattle wagon)

I installed it on by GF with 230K on it and what a difference! The steering is tight and very responsive. I had already replaced ball joints, inner and outer tierods, but this really tightened up the steering. Cost....$8

Other VW parts.

Gen 1 staton wagon rear glass = VW beetle rear glass

Windshield washer sprayer = VW beetle washer sprayer

GF side glass seal. (seal between front and rear window) = VW beetle convertible side glass seal.

Does anyone know other interchanges??

Todd

oh yeah and also I should pull out my datsun restoration catalog and go though it again for some of the cooler stuff (after looking at the door weatherstripping again I might be able to find that in there too YAY!!) cause I have found in there rebuild kits for the u-joint half shafts in it and side marker lights for the stage 1 vehicles among a ton of other things including performance pieces :grin: like in the way of urethane bushings and stuff hehe