Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Now that I'm a member of this forum, hopefully I can get a straight answer on this issue. What is it with the CV joint boots on my car? In 175K miles, I bet I've put 8 - 10 reman'd front axles on this thing, because of boot, not joint, failure. Sometimes I've had boots tear in as little as a year! Did Subaru place the boots in the perfect place to get wacked with road debris?

I've spoken with Subaru regarding this issue, and you'd almost think I'm the only one that's experienced this problem.

What are you guys doing with these axles? What kind of reman'd axles are you getting?

It took nearly seven or more years before I had one go. The reman'd axles I put in from cvaxles.com have been great.

I don't go through many per car, just got a lotta cars.

Where I live dosn't help either, dirt roads, off roads.....some get torn on debris, some just got old and rot.

Currently have seven Legacys, five "on the road", one project, one parts car.

Been driving nothing but Subs for 25 years. Changed alot of axles!

My originals look good at 80k, except the one rear inner that's less than an inch from the tailpipe. The front outers are both new, a much stiffer plastic instead of the original rubber boots. I suspect they won't last as long. My Landcruiser has steel spheres over the birfield (CV) joints, very debris and rot proof. I think some Land Rovers also have birfields.

Now that I'm a member of this forum, hopefully I can get a straight answer on this issue. What is it with the CV joint boots on my car? In 175K miles, I bet I've put 8 - 10 reman'd front axles on this thing, because of boot, not joint, failure. Sometimes I've had boots tear in as little as a year! Did Subaru place the boots in the perfect place to get wacked with road debris?

I've spoken with Subaru regarding this issue, and you'd almost think I'm the only one that's experienced this problem.

If you use a good quality boots, your problem is trapped air in the CV boot.

I replaced my boot after 4 monthes because the air in the boot caused a small hole that spits grease all over the place.

Took the Axle out, replaced the boot and closed it with 2 strong plastic strips.

I stripped the 1st plastic strip normally, the second one needs more attention: you should press the boot to release trapped air in the boot - and while pressing the boot you should close the second strip.

Good luck :-)

Izik

i had this issue for a while. Finally i bit the bullit and took the car to a subaru dealer and never had the problem again. Surprsingly the subaru dealer was reasonable.

There are a few differnt axles for these cars, depending upon engine/transmission choices. There are only mm's in difference in length, but put the wrong axle in the car, and it will not last very long.

My mechanic at the time was just ordering a axle and not specifying the drivetrain, and what was worse, was his supplier wasnt asking him either.

Go to subaru, get the right axles, and you will be done with it.

nipper

Same deal with me. I had 2 '92 Loyales. Every year or so I'd have a boot rip on one of them. Partly my fault cause I was replacing them with $50 axle assemblies from Advance Auto. They were lifetime free replacements, but, my labor. You can buy a retrofit boot, that can be put on without pulling the axle. Gave me about twice the time between axle changes. They are messy to put on though. Give it a try! Also try spraying the boots with silicone spray, or apply silicone oil periodically.

The factory boots on my FWD 1993 Impreza lasted 9 years / 95,000 miles. In fact, the boots are the only repair I ever did on the car, before I sold it to a family member a year or 2 later to by a new 2004 AWD Impreza

Ah ok, i know on my 1988 gl it didnt like getting the wrong axles at all. At one point the boots were ripping themselves apart in a month.

After that expeirence i tend to go to subaru for the axles. Do it once and do it right. I got tired of the monthly axle change.

nipper