Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fun at the junkyard....

I found a set of 4 alloy rims that look like these

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/8hole.jpg

at the Farrell's junkyard in Mt.Vernon - they want $80 for the set. They are on a light blue sedan - I think an '85. I should have been looking for a wagon wheel (I have one bent one), but I spaced that out. These rims caught my eye though (but I'm not going to buy them myself).

I had fun browsing at all the Roo's this yard has - they have tons of EA82 wagons and sedans - and a few XT's and a couple EA81 wagons too. I found a fender for my wagon with the same paint color - it's not an *exact* paint match, but it's pretty stinkin' close (and it's straight! LOL!) I think I will be back later for bumpers too. The fender was $50, and the driveline was $35 - is that about ''normal'' price to pay?

If they pull the parts for you, the prices are about right; if you're pulling them, it's a bit pricey. The 8 hole wheels will fit your car and you'll find them more reliable than the spoked wagon wheels (they tend to go out of "true" easily and cause a little shimmy that never seems to go away no matter how well the wheels are balanced). If they pull the parts for you, make sure they give you as much of the hardware as possible; you never know when you'll need a bolt or nut (especially the lower bolts on the fender are usually badly rusted and should be replaced). Good luck with it.

...The fender was $50, and the driveline was $35 - is that about ''normal'' price to pay?

My local yard wants $50/fender and $50 for a driceshaft... both I would have to pull. :slobber:

Those rims look awful perdy... the ones at the JY look nearly as good?

My local yard wants $50/fender and $50 for a driveshaft... both I would have to pull. :slobber:

Those rims look awful perdy... the ones at the JY look nearly as good?

The ones at the JY weren't that shiny, but I don't think that they would take much to get them nice. They had some minor surface stratches, but no edge dents. I didn't scrutinize them, but I think they are worth the $80 - I personally prefer the looks of the wagon wheels and I am not into polishing rims on a regular basis to keep them purdy :P My car is lucky if she gets a monthly bath, LOL.

I went in there today, to take a look around, since I've never been in there, and the guy didn't seem too eager to help me at all. I didn't see the alloys, but I did see 1 set of wagon wheels.

Ya, you gotta go in there like you know the place, LOL :) Where'd ya see the wagon wheels? Did you go out into the yard and look around? The Subaru's are the set of rows on the south side of the yard - almost to the corner where they have the cars to be crushed stacked high. There are a couple in the middle set of rows too. The car with the alloys is about the 3rd row from the back - in the middle. I think it was an F row car - a baby blue 4 dr. sedan.

I asked If I could go look around. He told me I could look at the wheels, so I didn't look at any cars. And when I asked about the alloys, he said he didn't know what I was talking about.

Ya, they might not know exactly what's out there on the cars for wheels. You have to go out there and get the number off the car. If you are interested in them, just say you want to go look at the Subaru's - and then go look for the blue sedan :) The car # is written in yellow (starts with a F or G I think) - the number is on the back post by the rear window on that car if I remember right.

They were introduced in 1986 if my memory serves me; it used to be that the part number was posted on the wheels section of the subarus of the 80s link but I don't see it there anymore. McBrat would likely know.

does anyone know what the hell year subaru made those rims or a part number for them. I would like to be able to use that info to find out more about them. thanks.

I think there was originally a spec sheet on the wheels page that listed them as being 85-89, but they are not in my 1985 buyer's guide. I have them on my wagon (originally had wagon wheels) - I like them a LOT more than wagon wheels, they never bend, and are a LOT lighter (easier to service). They cost a lot more than $80 when I got them tho. :-\ However, I will say that they were worth the price I paid.

The '85 and up wagon wheels have a chronic problem with bending or going out of "true"; any of the alloy wheels that fit are a huge improvement.

I like them a LOT more than wagon wheels, they never bend, and are a LOT lighter (easier to service).

Yes i know this....which is why i really want to get my hand to wheels like this, and because they're hot. Unfortunatly i dont think i'm going to have room in my ride to bring 'em back down to AZ on the 16'th when i drive back from seattle, nor would i have the time to find that junkyard off the 5 and pull the rims. anyone know if they are still there? i might be able to convince the girlfriend that we need to make it happen. Again any info on wheel specs like a part # would be awesome or what to call them would be great too. I think '85 alloys would be too vague.

neal

The '85 and up wagon wheels have a chronic problem with bending or going out of "true"; any of the alloy wheels that fit are a huge improvement.

Plenty of room; just remount your tires on the new wheels and chuck or give the old wheels to Karin!

Unfortunatly i dont think i'm going to have room in my ride to bring 'em back down to AZ on the 16'th when i drive back from seattle, neal

I could go in and get the car # if you really wanted them - and PM you the phone and car #. It's just a few minutes off I-5 in Mt.Vernon..... north of Seattle about an hour or so..... The yard will pull them for you - you don't have to do any wrenching at all......

I could go in and get the car # if you really wanted them - and PM you the phone and car #. It's just a few minutes off I-5 in Mt.Vernon..... north of Seattle about an hour or so..... The yard will pull them for you - you don't have to do any wrenching at all......

A'hem.....My darling girlfirend said that I would be cashing in all my stored up points but it can happen if; i buy her a grip of high cocoa content chocolate (we are also picking up a weber carb/intake/adapter plate in portland that same day) before we go back to eugene.

:banana:

It would be awesome if you could get me the car # so that I could call up the yard and have them pulled and ready for me to swing in and snatch up. The number to the yard would be awesome too. Will it still be $80 straight up if they are pulled? If it's gonna be much more I would do it myself.

Karinvail: ya need any spoke rims? i got three mis matched caps too........

regardless they're yours as long as the yard has these (if you want them)

neal

It would be awesome if you could get me the car # so that I could call up the yard and have them pulled and ready for me to swing in and snatch up. The number to the yard would be awesome too. Will it still be $80 straight up if they are pulled? If it's gonna be much more I would do it myself.

Karinvail: ya need any spoke rims? i got three mis matched caps too........

regardless they're yours as long as the yard has these (if you want them)

neal

Yes, their prices are all ''pulled'' prices. I will get the phone # and car number early next week.

I *do* need an EA82 wagon wheel - I have one bent one, but 3 good ones. I could probably find one at the same yard, I just didn't think about it after I saw the set of alloys, LOL.

Yes, their prices are all ''pulled'' prices. I will get the phone # and car number early next week.

I *do* need an EA82 wagon wheel - I have one bent one, but 3 good ones. I could probably find one at the same yard, I just didn't think about it after I saw the set of alloys, LOL.

Well my deal is this: I'm flying back from anchorage to seattle where my car is parked and was planning on being able to get into mt. vernon very early tuesday 8-16 to find those rims. If you are going to be in the area and would like one of my wagon wheels i would be able to leave you one somewhere IF i got a chance to swap the rubbers onto the alloys. anyways the car # and the # to the junk yard would be awesome but i dont know if im going to get another chance to get onto the internet before i get to seattle. so if i dont get any more infro i'm just going to use the beta you posted prior to try and find this light blue wagon in the yard. IF i do get a chance to get back on the site Karinvail pm me a way to get get in touch with you if your interested in the wagon rim.

neal

Well my deal is this: I'm flying back from anchorage to seattle where my car is parked and was planning on being able to get into mt. vernon very early tuesday 8-16 to find those rims. If you are going to be in the area and would like one of my wagon wheels i would be able to leave you one somewhere IF i got a chance to swap the rubbers onto the alloys. anyways the car # and the # to the junk yard would be awesome but i dont know if im going to get another chance to get onto the internet before i get to seattle. so if i dont get any more infro i'm just going to use the beta you posted prior to try and find this light blue wagon in the yard. IF i do get a chance to get back on the site Karinvail pm me a way to get get in touch with you if your interested in the wagon rim.

neal

I'm not going to worry about the rim for now. My father-in-law passed away on Saturday and it's going to be one hectic week. I can't get in to the yard to get the car #, but their phone is 360-424-4231 . Farrell's Wrecking Yard, Mt.Vernon. The wheels are on a light blue sedan. Maybe just explain the wheels to them (8 round/oval holes, etc.), and they will know which ones. I wish I could get in there to get the car # for you and maybe take a pic of them before you committed to them, but I just can't with what's going on right now. Sorry.....