Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel pump issues.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

My fuel pump on my SPFI Ea82 is really loud, always has been. With the carpet and interior stripped out of the back, I can hear it really well while driving. My problem is, I can hear it whine in tune with the turn signal. I didn't think that the load of the turn signal would be high enough to interupt the power to the pump. I'm almost wondering if I have a bad connection to the fuse block, because I have noticed that I can dim the overhead light to the beat of the radio when its cranked up. What are your thoughts?

#2 Hendrik

Hendrik

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Holland and Brazil

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:07 AM

My fuel pump on my SPFI Ea82 is really loud, always has been. With the carpet and interior stripped out of the back, I can hear it really well while driving. My problem is, I can hear it whine in tune with the turn signal. I didn't think that the load of the turn signal would be high enough to interupt the power to the pump. I'm almost wondering if I have a bad connection to the fuse block, because I have noticed that I can dim the overhead light to the beat of the radio when its cranked up. What are your thoughts?

Look at :
http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=38952

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:52 AM

I read your post but I don't get it. How does adding a relay and fuse in line reduce OHM resistance to the cirucut?

I have the same problem described... turning on signal makes EVERYTHING on the accesorries circut wax and wan in time with the signal... or turning on my headlights draws everything else down... :(

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:38 AM

I would check the charging system and make sure that all the connections are ok and the battery is being charged like it should be. Also check the fan belt for correct tension and fusible links for good connections. If the battery is slightly low on charge it will cause this kind of thing to happen.

#5 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

Battery is new and fine. Fusible links are fine; been replaced once. My fan isnt on a belt and is completly seperate now from the thermoswitch / ECU circut. Alternator belt is TIGHT :-\

#6 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

I have the same problem described... turning on signal makes EVERYTHING on the accesorries circut wax and wan in time with the signal

Fairly common on these cars.

#7 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

Fuel pump is either going bad, or there is restriction in the fuel lines or pick up screen in the tank, putting exessive load on the fuel pump.

Stock radio? Otherwise the alternator probably can't handle the draw of an after market stereo system.

#8 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

My battery is good, new and putting out 12.6-.8 volts at rest. The charging system takes it up to a steady 14.5v. What I'm wondering is if the feed to the fuse box is bad and all the chassis electrics are starving for current.

Turning on loads doesn't draw down the battery voltage, but the voltage at the fuse box is a tad lower, 14.2v. the headlights aren't dim or anything either, and I just moved the engine/tranny ground straps to new, good locations.

In my opinion, a small load like a turn signal shouldn't affect any of the other circuits on the car. The pump may be well on its way out though, and I just replaced the filter to solve a high load loss of power issue I was having.

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

The problem with the lights may be due to a bad ground. An easy way to check that is to make a long jumper lead with some 10 or 12 gauge wire and tie one end to the negative battery post. Then place the other end on other suspected bad ground spots. If the jumper improves the performance then you need to work on the ground points.

#10 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

mine all do it. I put Carter fuel pumps on both DRTYGRL and RUZILLA, now thats a pump you can hear. I used the original wiring for DRTYGRL and it is very obviously going up and down with the turn signal. RUZILLA's started out on the original circuit and it would warble too. I put RUZILLA's on a relay to the battery and there is no veriance with it. Unless you are having a problem with it ie dieing, no fuel etc. leave it be. Tim

#11 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

The problem with the lights may be due to a bad ground. An easy way to check that is to make a long jumper lead with some 10 or 12 gauge wire and tie one end to the negative battery post. Then place the other end on other suspected bad ground spots. If the jumper improves the performance then you need to work on the ground points.

Agreed. Things like this are *usually* bad ground related. A good place to look would be where the negative battery terminal cable is connected to the chassis.

-=Russ=-

#12 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:09 PM

Thanks. I'll see about running some ground straps from the negative clamp to the body instead of the block. From what chef tim said, it seems to be fairly common. I'm reluctant to run a relay, because the pump controller has a timer in it to make sure the pump isn't running with the engine stalled, which i like for safety's sake. Nothing like fuel being pumped over an already flaming engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users