Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

bent rear swaybar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 4x4moose

4x4moose

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Wenatchee the snatch

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:08 PM

i was wondering what i could do as in like make one or fine a stiffer one. i was reading through some post and didn't really find out if i could put like a 20mm on my hatch. and would this or could it cause my car to pull left very hard?

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,106 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:35 AM

If you are talking about the "moustache bar" that goes from mounts on each side and holds the rear diff, and its bent? Then yes, it can make the car steer different. But it would have to be bent real bad for it to do that.
A piece of angle iron can be made to fit and then welded to the bar to stengthen it.

#3 4x4moose

4x4moose

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Wenatchee the snatch

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:23 PM

yeah the moustache bar. so is it not a anti-swaybar? is there any thing else i could do to fix it, since i don't have a welder, but i can have someone weld one up. yeah its bent really bad.

#4 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,106 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:45 PM

If its not to bad, take it off and use a BFH to try and straighten it out. Otherwise you need a new(old) one to replace it. If your going to get serious about off-roading, its a good idea to strengthen it.

#5 4x4moose

4x4moose

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Wenatchee the snatch

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

yeah i'm going to put a lift on it with in the next month. so you say just a peace of angleiron weld on, were would be the best place to put it?. i'm kind of thinking of just outline it kind of, if you get what i mean.

#6 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,106 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

On the back side of the bar, run it within 6in of each end. To make the bends just cut the flat part that goes against the bar and bend it to form. Then you can adjust for the bends, tacking it on. Then put a weld top and bottom and it should be good to go. Qman did this on his old Hatch and never had a problem tweeking it after that.

#7 4x4moose

4x4moose

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Wenatchee the snatch

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

ok i know what you are saying, just need to get my hands on a welder, what sixw angle iron? like 2in. thanks for the help. btw window fits ok, there is a little gaps by the b piler, but that could be my fault.

#8 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,106 posts
  • WA

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:02 PM

I think its 2in or 1.5in, either one will work.
Window may need some adjustment, a FSM will tell you how.
If I can find mine, I'll try and get a scan of it and post it.

#9 stinky

stinky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:53 AM

Once you've straightened it you may wanna chop the right hand side down ( hangs down the furtherest ) so it doesn't catch on rocks. I bent mine the other week and it was re-inforced ... the extra low bit was where it hit the rock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users