Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Outback Aftermarket Headunit Install Power Antenna Problem

Hello,

I just installed a new Pioneer DEH-P6700MP head unit in my 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback after the original cd player stopped working. Everything works fine except for the power antenna. On the stock head unit the antenna only went up when the radio tuner was selected and went down when the cd player was selected. After installing the new head unit the power antenna goes right up when I turn on the head unit and will go down only when I turn it off. I am pretty sure I set up the wiring harnees correctly. If anyone has any suggestions or reasons why the antenna wont go up and down it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo

most aftermarket head units only power the antenna wire when the unit is turned on.

My DEH-7200 did the same thing. The installer at Circuit City said there is not way for the aftermarket unit to differentiate between radio and CD so it's alway's on if the head unit is on..

Pioneer's web site seems to currently suck, so I can't view a wiring diagram for any of their head units. Anyway, there is typically a blue wire and a blue wire with a white stripe. One is a remote turn on for an amp, and one is for a power antenna. Make sure you have the correct one hooked up. I have no experiance with Pioneer, but I know the Sonys and Panasonics I've installed all had both wires. I would be surprised if a big name like Pioneer couldn't do something this basic.

Keith

My DEH-7200 did the same thing. The installer at Circuit City said there is not way for the aftermarket unit to differentiate between radio and CD so it's alway's on if the head unit is on..

This is absolutely not the case. Most, but not all, aftermarket stereos will differentiate. The way to tell is whether or not it has a solid blue wire coming off the harness. If it does, that's the one to hook up. As RallyKeith said above, there's two blue wires, a solid blue (power antenna) and a blue/white (amp turn-on). They are very commonly confused, especially by less-experienced "professional" installers who may be in a rush. Hell, I've done it once or twice.

There may be some out there, but I've not seen them in the 10 or so I've had to do with. If it is possible it should say in the directions. After all if it has a seperate amp power wire (many amps power off the antenna wire) the amp will be on for rado and cd.

The Pioneer DEH-P6700MP only has the Blue/White "Amp Remote" wire. It does not have the Blue "Power Antenna" wire. So it's working correctly.

If you don't want the antenna up while you're listening to CDs, the only solution would be to install a switch on that wire.