Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC won't turn off...

Long time lurker, first time poster here. My 94 Loyale recently developed a problem with the air conditioning. Yesterday, it got pretty cool here, and I put the heat on low. However, the ac still blasted out of the vents while the heat was blasting cool out of the floor. Pressing bilev and defrost resulted in the ac still running.

I turned off the ac completely and selected heat or bilev, but the ac never shut off. I noted from the engine load and coolness of the air coming out of the dash vents that the ac compressor was still running on these other settings.

With summer winding down here soon, I am concerned about not having any heat, and not being able to use the defroster.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone experienced this condition? I would be grateful for any tips or advice on how to correct this. I'm not a car genius, the most I can do is an oil change really, but if i have some info, I can have someone with more smarts look into it or make repairs.

Thanks again.

does the light in the ac switch turn off or is it always on.

If it is always on, your problem is in the switch or wiring, try disconnecting the connector at the compressor

If it turns off when you turn the switch off, your problem could be in the clutch on the compressor.

When I turn my AC off or on, I hear some vacuum noises under the dash, so maybe a problem with vacuum somewhere. Sorry, I have never done any work in this area.

If you disconnect the AC unit, you'll have problems with the defroster, because the compressor kicks in whenever you turn it on. But, if you want to do it, there's a 15 Amp fuse sitting in plain site in the rear of the engine compartment on the passenger side, and you can just pull it out. Easy to find, sitting up high, the only one there.