Ultimate Subaru Message Board

At work today (I sell Kia's normally) I sold a 1997 Subaru Legacy L sedan. It came in as a trade in with only a COPY of the valet key.

Therefore the only way to get in the trunk is fold down the seats or pull the release handle in the interior. I would like my customer to be happy and I told him I would find out how to get a REAL master key for him. Preferibly from Subaru.

Now... I know some models you can get a key from the vin, others you can get from one of the locks.

Who knows where is the best place to get the key code on a gen 2 (1997) legacy?

And no I dont have the little key code tag, I checked the glovebox/manual and it wasnt there... the rest of the car was just detailed so that was the only possible place it could be. Contacting the previous owner of the car is not a practical option here. The car works fine as is, but I just want my customer to be able to use his trunk easier.

I would send him to a locksmith only as a last resort.

By the way I had to split the deal and I made $205 commission + a $100 spiff on it :brow:

Probably the only dealer that can cut the key from the Vin number is the dealer that sold the car, they sometime make record of code number with the sell. If not you can take the trunk lock out and get the number that is on it and take it to locksmith and he will be able to cut the key by this number. You may be able to see the number on lock with out taking it out.