Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Half-shaft replacement pointers - please?

I have a 97 Legacy Outback, that is making noises like the cv joints are going.. I got some new half-shafts, but due to laziness have not put them in yet.

Can anyone offer any pointers, Tool required etc?

I will probably have to buy a socket for the axle nut, but don't know what size.

I've done this sort of job before on other cars, so I have an idea of what I am in for, just looking for some info..

TIA

If you have done this before on other cars you will have a breeze on the suby,..

just dont overtighten the nut and burn up your wheelbearings like I did last time I did it,...

I have a 97 Legacy Outback, that is making noises like the cv joints are going.. I got some new half-shafts, but due to laziness have not put them in yet.

Can anyone offer any pointers, Tool required etc?

I will probably have to buy a socket for the axle nut, but don't know what size.

I've done this sort of job before on other cars, so I have an idea of what I am in for, just looking for some info..

TIA

The thing I like to remind about:

The pins that are pressed into the joints on the gearbox side are conical. Make sure you beat them out backwards. They will go the other way, but it takes a lot of pounding.

(Look for marks on the pins, bash out from the opposite end)

Hi Guys-

THanks for the replies.

Just for the record ( I called the dealer on this one ) the spindle nut socket is 1 1/4, go figure. It fit perfect and is easier to find than the 36 mm.

Everything came apart pretty easy, but I found that my wheel bearings are the culprit. Since they are pressed in, I'm taking the assemblies to the dealer to get new ones pressed in.

The pin on the passenger side is a pain to get to. I need to go buy an 8" punch to reach it, cause the cat is in the way below.

Since it's all apart, I was thinking of replacing the front struts. Any suggestions on good ride/handling replacements??

TIA.

Since it's all apart, I was thinking of replacing the front struts. Any suggestions on good ride/handling replacements??

TIA.

I have a 97 OB as well. I replaced the struts with OEM units, which are made by KYB. You can get some good online prices. KYB also makes their own aftermarket strut for the Outback, but it is 10 to 15% stiffer than the OEM unit. So it is up to you if you want that.

The only other make I found specifically for the Outback was by Gabriel. I haven't heard of anyone trying them, so I passed. Price was good though.

Commuter

The pin on the passenger side is a pain to get to. I need to go buy an 8" punch to reach it, cause the cat is in the way below.

TIA.

Just passing on advice I was given here : just find a socket that can hold the punch handle (a little tape might help) and stick that socket on the end of the proper lenght ratchet extension.

Hopes that's not too late to help.

Good luck!