Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EMERGENCY smoke and noise under hood

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 terryb52

terryb52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • illinois

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

I hope someone can give me some direction on this one as I am leaving for a cross-country trip tomorrow morning unless it's something major! I was on my way to gas up tonight and as I drove up a very steep hill, power faltered, there was a really loud rattling coming from under the hood and a very stinky white smoke came out. I made it to the top of the hill (slowly) and lifted the hood. By then I didn't see any more smoke so proceeded to gas up. I drove carefully home (about 2 miles). I called the mechanic where I ususally go for major things and will get it over to him tomorrow morning first thing. Any ideas of what I might be facing. It is a '92 TURBO Legacy wagon with 158K. I had all belts done last year. All head gaskets replaced. Turbo problem? Thanks! It's just me and my dog going on the trip and I don't want to get stranded in Nebraska!

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,704 posts
  • Texas

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:36 PM

I hope someone can give me some direction on this one as I am leaving for a cross-country trip tomorrow morning unless it's something major! I was on my way to gas up tonight and as I drove up a very steep hill, power faltered, there was a really loud rattling coming from under the hood and a very stinky white smoke came out. I made it to the top of the hill (slowly) and lifted the hood. By then I didn't see any more smoke so proceeded to gas up. I drove carefully home (about 2 miles). I called the mechanic where I ususally go for major things and will get it over to him tomorrow morning first thing. Any ideas of what I might be facing. It is a '92 TURBO Legacy wagon with 158K. I had all belts done last year. All head gaskets replaced. Turbo problem? Thanks! It's just me and my dog going on the trip and I don't want to get stranded in Nebraska!

Did it smell like roasted marshmallows? kinda sweet? Did you get a cel or a high temp on the coolant gauge? Could the fan blades have gotten into the radiator somehow?

Carl

#3 terryb52

terryb52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • illinois

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

Did it smell like roasted marshmallows? kinda sweet? Did you get a cel or a high temp on the coolant gauge? Could the fan blades have gotten into the radiator somehow?

Carl

No, it was more acrid and almost like something burning. I didn't see the temp gauge spike. When I popped the hood at home there was a boiling sound and I'm not sure how long it takes for the coolant to boil normally. This was a very short trip of maybe 4 miles total.

#4 555Ron

555Ron

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Newcastle, Aus

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

Have you broken a coolant hose? I wouldn't drive the thing. They have a water temperature sender - no water - no warning... and you'll be after a new engine in no time. Smoke is a bad sign. Check all fluid levels (trans, diffs, oil, coolant) and the colour of them.

#5 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:28 AM

Hmm, let's see... loud knocking sound and smoke from underneath the bonnet....

I don't want to rain on your parade, but this is not a vehicle you want to choose for a long drive. This needs fixing.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,704 posts
  • Texas

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:21 AM

Could the sound have been more a sizzling or arcing sound? maybe you have a major electrical short?

I dunno, but I vote with Setright, make CERTAIN the actual problem is diagnosed and corrected before leaving town

Carl

#7 terryb52

terryb52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • illinois

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:39 AM

It was a clattering sound like something being eaten in the fan. I checked the levels of the fluids and didn't see anything amiss. I am taking it to a garage this morning, just hope it makes it there as it is about 3 miles away. I also hope it is nothing major but fear the worst! Will let you know the results!

#8 marty yandle

marty yandle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Wappingers Falls

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:31 AM

Diagnose for leaking head gasket, just in case. See following sites:
Scott McGerik's mWeblog,
file:///Users/marty/Desktop/HeadGasketWarningsBMW.webarchive

#9 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

Dude, do not leave town in this car, until it has been fixed. white smoke and clattering are not a good combo. get this looked at right away, and repaired immediately.

#10 terryb52

terryb52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • illinois

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

OK--I took a chance. Went to my mechanic before leaving town and we stood over the engine for a good half hour scratching our heads. Nothing was happening. No problems with hoses, belts, fan, etc. So...I packed up the car and drove 1100 miles. HOWEVER in the middle of Nebraska my cruise control stuck and I was cruising at an ever increasing speed of 85mph with my foot on the brakes! I was terrified. I punched the cruise button, stomped on the brakes and nothing was slowing it down. Finally I hit the gas pedal and it disconnected. I DID NOT use the cruise from that point on. What could have caused that???? At least I had no smoke/noise/loss of power. We think maybe it was something blown up into the fan or belts that burned up and dropped????
Thanks for all your help and ideas. I will be driving BACK in a couple weeks.

Dude, do not leave town in this car, until it has been fixed. white smoke and clattering are not a good combo. get this looked at right away, and repaired immediately.

#11 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,704 posts
  • Texas

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

OK--I took a chance. Went to my mechanic before leaving town and we stood over the engine for a good half hour scratching our heads. Nothing was happening. No problems with hoses, belts, fan, etc. So...I packed up the car and drove 1100 miles. HOWEVER in the middle of Nebraska my cruise control stuck and I was cruising at an ever increasing speed of 85mph with my foot on the brakes! I was terrified. I punched the cruise button, stomped on the brakes and nothing was slowing it down. Finally I hit the gas pedal and it disconnected. I DID NOT use the cruise from that point on. What could have caused that???? At least I had no smoke/noise/loss of power. We think maybe it was something blown up into the fan or belts that burned up and dropped????
Thanks for all your help and ideas. I will be driving BACK in a couple weeks.

Did it only make the rattling sound while the car was actually moving? OK - now I'm gonna guess (seems like I did a lot of that already huh! hah!) But maybe what you heard was a sorta flapping sound from a torn CV boot and it's grease was burning off the exhaust manifold. Check the CV boots (inner and outer) and see if one of them is split. Doesn't explain the power loss however.

that CC story was crazy! maybe you did have some arcing and it destroyed a relay/fuse box somehwere that affects the CC?

I dunno

Carl

#12 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

Could a critter have gotten cozy in your fan housing? Check both the main and auxilliary housings for remnants of nests or the critter itself. Yuck!

My old boss' cat was in his engine bay when he started it one morning... poor thing's nickname was "Razorback" after that incident.

Also look for chewed wires around the cruise control, they love to chew plastic.

I never use cruise... scares the heck out of me... makes me feel like "Hal" is under the hood calling the shots.

#13 terryb52

terryb52

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • illinois

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

Nope--no critters. I had already driven a couple miles before it happened. About the CC, I had used it off and on for 600 miles before the crazy thing happened. I might take it to a mechanic here in IL to have a once-over. They aren't very familiar with Subarus tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users