Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sparkplug wire resistance and fuel consumption

Hi all

The factory service manual recommanded resistance per wire is around 5-12K Ohm (legacy 1996 N/A EJ20 Auto' FWD).

Is there any diffrence in fuel consumption and engine performance using wires with resistance around 10-12K Ohm VS. wires with, let say, 4-5K Ohm ?

I read on some sites that wires with very high resistance (18-20K Ohm for ex.) could damage the sparkplugs and even cause damage to the ignition system.

10x

Itzik

I would just go with a name brand wire and be done with it. I have never really paid attention to wire resistance, unless they are long runs.

I think ive been around this planet too long, or have had too many interesting cars and jobs...

When I worked for Standard automotive products, and blue streak, we used to match our wires with factory spec wires to pass acceptance (amoung other tests).

For such high voltage in an ignition coil, it really doesnt matter all that much. What i would look for more importantly is the insulator. Is it nice and thick and pliable, instead of thin and hard.

nipper