Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Add-A-Gear

You could make up the linkage to run the EA82 4wd tranny in your car using a close-to-stock looking lever. It would take some fab work, but I'm sure it's possible.

That should work, but I ain't got a welder.:-\

I was wondering, is there any way possible to add a 5th gear, to a '77 tranny? If so, who can do it?

Never heard of anyone pulling this off yet.

Personal dream for me would be an EA71 with a D/R 5spd....and SPFI.

Be sure to let us know if you stuff a D/R 5spd into that '77.You'll be my hero.:)

Hey Guys This is Jerry, i am in the proscess of doing that same project. It is a 80 brat with a 6 inch lift and a hot EA81 with the 5 speed dual range tranny useing the stock shifters. Also i have install the EA81 rear suspension and rear disc brakes. From doing this project if you are going to stuff the 5 speed dual range tranny in a EA71 car or brat you will need at least a 4 inch lift the tunnel is to small and the tranny is to big to fit without alot of mods to the tunnel. It will be done in about 2 weeks and i will let you know how it turns out. Thanks Jerry

Hey Guys This is Jerry, i am in the proscess of doing that same project. It is a 80 brat with a 6 inch lift and a hot EA81 with the 5 speed dual range tranny useing the stock shifters. Also i have install the EA81 rear suspension and rear disc brakes. From doing this project if you are going to stuff the 5 speed dual range tranny in a EA71 car or brat you will need at least a 4 inch lift the tunnel is to small and the tranny is to big to fit without alot of mods to the tunnel. It will be done in about 2 weeks and i will let you know how it turns out. Thanks Jerry

Sounds good,

So only 5 speed 2wd uhhh:-\