Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

transmission whine when in gear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lazylegacy

lazylegacy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

my first post. just found you all!

current ride is a 95 legacy with automatic that whines whenever in gear. it doesn't matter what gear or if moving. the whine increases with rpms, but throw it in neutral or park, and the whine disappears. the car shifts fine and there is no performance loss.

i've lived with the noise for approximately 30k (139k total on car). funny thing is, i can't remember when it really started.

any ideas?

B

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,563 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

There is a fuse holder next to the passenger side strut tower. Put a fuse in there, and see if the noise goes away.

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the transmission or some place else?

So the noise is engine rpm dependent and not speed dependent?

#3 lazylegacy

lazylegacy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:27 PM

i tried the fwd fuse. no difference.

it is definitely the transmission. just sitting at idle in neutral or park, no noise. throw it in any gear, and let the whine begin. the whine increases in pitch as the rpm increases, whether moving or not.

it is quite annoying, especially when i obsess over it. but, for now and the past 30k miles, it has performed flawlessly. i just want the whine gone.

B

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

Unfrotunitly it sounds like your front pump may be going bad, or your torque converter. Granted it may be a long slow death. I think it may be the pump, because ion park or neutral, the pump is just circulating fluid, but not really having to do any work. Put the car in gear, the pump now has to make pressure to apply things...

Just a theory.

nipper

#5 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:20 AM

i tried the fwd fuse. no difference.

it is definitely the transmission. just sitting at idle in neutral or park, no noise. throw it in any gear, and let the whine begin. the whine increases in pitch as the rpm increases, whether moving or not.

it is quite annoying, especially when i obsess over it. but, for now and the past 30k miles, it has performed flawlessly. i just want the whine gone.

B

B, what part of california are you in? I'm in the Bay Area, and if you are anywhere close to that I would be happy to come over and see if I can help you diagnose it. I do a bit of work on Subarus, and may even be able to get you spare parts, if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users