Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All

After a few weeks with an increasing exhaust noice from the left/front of my 92 legacy, the headers have finally and fully cracked.

It happened on the left side indeed, right after the two pipes coming down from the cyl. head join a single tube. It's only now that I realize that the same happened on the right side and its been already welded.

Welding it back shouldnt be a problem. What surprises me is:

1. Havent found any threads on this on the forum, is it an uncommon problem?

2. With all the weight of the cat and rest of the collector bending these welds, no wonder they break. My car has no strap to support the weight, let say, after the cat chamber. is it just missing?

3. Anybody knows of a kit or DIY solution for a support to better carry the collector assembly weight?

Cheers

T-Guzzi

Hello All

After a few weeks with an increasing exhaust noice from the left/front of my 92 legacy, the headers have finally and fully cracked.

It happened on the left side indeed, right after the two pipes coming down from the cyl. head join a single tube. It's only now that I realize that the same happened on the right side and its been already welded.

Welding it back shouldnt be a problem. What surprises me is:

1. Havent found any threads on this on the forum, is it an uncommon problem?

2. With all the weight of the cat and rest of the collector bending these welds, no wonder they break. My car has no strap to support the weight, let say, after the cat chamber. is it just missing?

3. Anybody knows of a kit or DIY solution for a support to better carry the collector assembly weight?

Cheers

T-Guzzi

1. I've never heard of a stock header weld breaking. Some older revisions of the Borla header pipes had welds breaking, but generally only on the turbocharged versions.
  2. That pipe only holds itself up. There are flanges on the cat and the pipe behind it that clamp it securely to the chassis. At least on 96's, 97's and 03's.
  3. Manufacture a better bracket? I'd get a new Borla header, honestly. Better sound, better flow. This would work only if you're willing to spring for the $300 or so pricetag.

Thanks Al

Being located in italy, the last thing you want to do is go with aftermarket, it would make passing the bi-anual state inspection a real hassle. and I have to do it right now...

Your story about a clamp to the bodywork holding up the whole thing around the headers-central pipe joint confirms my suspicions that it is indeed missing in my car.

Will appreciate if somebody could post a pic of that area...

Thanks

T-guzzi

Thanks Al

Being located in italy, the last thing you want to do is go with aftermarket, it would make passing the bi-anual state inspection a real hassle. and I have to do it right now...

Your story about a clamp to the bodywork holding up the whole thing around the headers-central pipe joint confirms my suspicions that it is indeed missing in my car.

Will appreciate if somebody could post a pic of that area...

Thanks

T-guzzi

I have the one I cut off of mine if you woud like a picture.....Seems that is a common place for them to rust as well. Mine is so far: rusted at the 2-1 junction under the heads, Rusted at te 2-1 junction under the motor, Rusted at the body mount just aft of the converter, and rusted at the second converter. :banghead:

93 Legacy wagon.

All the body mount is is a u-shaped piece of metal, that bolts to a boss on the Transaxle. It's about dead center under the car, where the pipe transitions from Right to Left.

I'm just going to gut the entire system, and make my own...2X the cost of the car for JUST exhaust is NOT gonna happen. :grin:

Story-D

Headers were welded today, for 10$.

The muffler repair shop was asking 700$ for the whole collector assy..... kills me, guess some people just nod with their heads and say go ahead!

Gonna mount them this evening and see if there's indeed some kind of U support. If not, guess I'll have to fashion my own.

Will appreciate if you could post a picture of course, maybe showing to where is it supposed to attach. Any extra info will be apreciated.

Tnxs

TG

Story-D

Headers were welded today, for 10$.

The muffler repair shop was asking 700$ for the whole collector assy..... kills me, guess some people just nod with their heads and say go ahead!

Gonna mount them this evening and see if there's indeed some kind of U support. If not, guess I'll have to fashion my own.

Will appreciate if you could post a picture of course, maybe showing to where is it supposed to attach. Any extra info will be apreciated.

Tnxs

TG

I can post a pic...but it will not help you too much. I had to mangle the pipe to get it off...notmuch is left of it. :) It attaches to the Transaxle at the point where the pipe is closest to the transaxle...Roughly the middle of the car.

OK found the support flange and the piece attaching to the bodywork was indeed missing. Theres a broken bit still attached to the pipe with the bolt... No wonder the headers broke. Sounds like an important item to check from time to time.

Fixed with good old wire for the moment, gonna get the part ASAP (guess that means in a year or two:-) )

Cheers

T-G