Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compression Test Results

Here are the results of my compression test using an Actron Sunpro compression gague from Summit Racing equipment. The compression gague is the type that keeps the needle at the highest reached pressure until the release button is pressed. The engine is a EA82 from a 1985 DL 2WD, and I recently dismantled it, cleaned it, and put in fresh gaskets. Each number is a composite of two indivdual tests (tests were pretty consistent):

Cylinder 1: 185

Cylinder 2: 175

Cylinder 3: 190

Cylinder 4: 190

Look pretty good? All cylinders are within 10% of each other, although it's somewhat close at about 8% difference between C2 and C3/4. The strange thing is that the two cylinders closer to the front of the engine are exhibiting greater wear. I wonder if this is common in Subarus?

I held off on putting new piston rings in and reconditioning the cylinder heads until I got these results back. I never did a proper compression test before I removed the engine because I wanted to clean the sucker, and paint the inside of the engine compartment.

Now I guess the next step would be for me to put everything back together and see if my original problem, the engine dying as it approaches idle speed, has gone away or still persists. Either way I can rule out bad engine compression as the cause of the problem....right? ...right.