Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd won't engage HELP!

I have an 86 Subaru GL wagon with the automatic transmission.

The 4wd button is a thumb controll on the gear selector. When I push it in the light comes on, but as soon as I let the button go the light goes out. I did check and light or no light I never have power to the rear wheels.

I have a Haynes manual but they don't even touch on this system.

I know someone will ask, it does have matched tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

I have an 86 Subaru GL wagon with the automatic transmission.

The 4wd button is a thumb controll on the gear selector. When I push it in the light comes on, but as soon as I let the button go the light goes out. I did check and light or no light I never have power to the rear wheels.

I have a Haynes manual but they don't even touch on this system.

I know someone will ask, it does have matched tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Have you checked the vacuum lines to the solenoid on the top of the transmission that put's it into 4wd? Might be not getting vaccum there?

4wd on an automatic transmission is controlled by an electric solenoid near the back of the transmission.

Now from your discription, it sounds like your switch is bad. When you press it in, It should stay in and the light should remain turned on. The solenoid for the 4wd is controlled by the same switch. So if power isn't getting to the light, it's probably not getting to the solenoid.