Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine light 1998 forester

Hi all...the engine light on my 1998 forester just turned on. I think it may be the oxygen sensor or pcv valve. The owners manual doesn't address these components and I am wondering if anybody out there knows how to identify the location of the O2 sensors and pcv valve and how easy it is for a backyard mechanic to replase...the local auto parts store has the parts but I want to make sure I kinda have a clue before I buy them and end up in a weekend of misery...any advise would truly be appreciated on locations and installations! Thanks in advanced!

I agree with post above...it makes little sense to just start replacing parts. Personally, I don't trust Autobone or the others to check for codes, for some reason people keep coming into my Nissan dealership claiming that "Autozone told me it was such-and-such a code" only to check it ourselves and find it was a completely different code. This can be true particularly if it is a Subaru specific code; not all codes in OBD II are generic, only the standardized emissions related ones. Take it to a Scoob dealer and have them diagnose it, then let us know what it is. Then we can give you a better idea of whether you should attempt the repair yourself, or have it done by a tech.