Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear oil?

Ok, I am debating this...now its itme to debabte this here!

What would happen if I used 10w-30 or 15w-50 mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil in one of my 5spd transmissions...?? Ive got an XT turbo 2wd 5spd, an XT6 FT4WD 5spd, and the 87+ RX 5spd D/R.

Other than maybe more noticable gear noise from the tranny, only other thing I can think of would be seal problems. Most seals are made to work in a particular type of fluid. Subjecting them to another type of fluid, for extended periods, may cause them to swell, or deteriorate

Used to be all trannies, and tranfercases were 80, or 90 gear lube. Then alot went to either 5W30 or 10W30. Now, alot have ATF in them. Not much other than the seals have changed, from what I can tell. Maybe a slight different cut on the gears to reduce gear whine.

Never know untill some one tries something, if it will work or not........

sorry gotta say this, my cousin worked at a napa in colorado, said NAPA stands for "Not Any Parts Available"

anways... if i were gonan experiment i wouldn't go anything lower than 20W50.. my friends acura 5-speed used straight 30W and it imploded at 120k and he's an old fart so he doesn't hot rod it either.. just my .02