Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hard to change a rear main seal??

Guest subu luvr

ea81 is the easiest machine to repair ive come across yet.

parts are tiny (compared), and theres sufficient space to access fasteners...

you will have to pull the trans or the motor, either has good and bad points, but i think yankin the trans is easiest

i wopuld suggest pulling the motor(if you have a hoist. its a lot easier than messing with the axles and shifter....

snd with the motor out, do othger service too. you will have to remove the flywheel/flexplate from the motor. the old seal can be picked out with a screwdriver if you are careful, although there are several ways described by the board..

when installing the new one, tap around it so it seats evenly, and is fluxh with the back of the motor. you dont want to drive it in too far and bottom it out, as it will cover the oil passage.

no sense spending 500 bucks over a 7.00 part!

save the 500 for a lift and such!!!

Yes - I second the trans. You will have to pull off the clutch package and the flywheel to get to the main, so unless the clutch is new, this would be a good time to replace it. At any rate, you will need the clutch alignment tool to put it back together. You can use a big socket, or a peice of pipe to tap the new seal into place. Or sometimes I just work my way around it with small taps from the hammer if I don't have anything that size. Just make sure it isn't crooked when you are done.

GD

one way to do a clutch without the alignment tool is this:

remove the starter, so now you have a big hole to work through.

install the new clutch disc and the pressure plate. thread in the PP bolts just enought to keep the clutch disc from flopping around, but you can still slide ithe disc around by hand.

now put the motor against the tranny. there will be enough "give" for the clutch to find its way onto the splines as the shaft finds the pilot hole.

now tighten all the PP bolts up through that big ol hole where the starter was. now put on the starter and give her a whirl!

i have done all my clutches this way, except one for a friend who's kit came with the center tool.

Miles why don't ya live closer to me?? i'd just have you do it, lol sounds like more than i wanna mess with.. its already lifted so i figure if i did do it the trans would be best, since i'll be workin in a gravel driveway :/

this was SVxperts hatch btw.. so rest of motor is sealed up tight, just not the rear main :/ i fugre if i gotta have a shop do it i'm gonna replace the clutch too while its apart..

well, as long as you gave room to get to it. suppose you can pull the tranny.

when i put a lift in trashwagon 4, converting the ea81t to a 5 spd, i left the motor in the car, pulled the auto, and installed the 5spd.

it this was my first MT, and it went right in and against the motor before i ever knew of pilot bearings and alignment tools!

my favorite thing to do is pull subaru motors:banana:

i would rather go at it from the top than the bottom.

you dont have to hoist it out, just undo the bellhousing bolts, take out radiator, slide motor forward and go at it.

or you can do it without taking the tranny all the way out, you can leave the cvs hooked up and just slide the tranny back, either way its not worth that much money to have someone else do it.

and you can use a stick or screwdriver with duct tape wrapped around it for an alignment tool