Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Outback Sedan and have read the manual and searched the posts for an answer to what I assume should be obvious, though not to me! Is there a proper size fuse to use in disabling the AWD system? The fuse box comes with 10, 20 and 30 amp spare fuses. Anyone able to advise? Thanks!

The older ones had a 15 amp, but i don't know about the newer ones.

I have to caution you, if you are doing this for an increase in MPG, its been tried, and it dosn't work. its also a sure fire way of blowing up your tranny, if you leave it for months at a time.

If you got a flat, and have a T type spare, by all means, but this isn't a solution for MPG.

most states have an exclusion for AWD vehicles. they test it at idle only, no moving or rolling tests needed for AWD. i would refuse to use the fuse. an AWD auto trans is nothing to mess with unless an emergency. good to be prepared, but i can't imagine they'd make you do that, liability written all over it. i'd call and ask first and demand that this not be done to your car if any resistance is found, but i find that unlikely.

not too mention...what if, somehow that one dinky circuit went bad or the fuse popped or something...then what? the car takes off with people standing in front of it and through the doors it goes?

no way i say, refuse the fuse.

I need to have the car emission tested in Illinois and merely wish to be prepared to disable AWD if necessary. I was walking through how to do this when I discovered that the owner's manual does not specify a fuse size.

Actually, you may be exempt from the dyno test! Don't offer to put in the fuse, then they have to come up with a 4 wheel dyno. Yeah, Subaru!

Thanks very much for finding that Q&A on AWD in IL. The legal notice I received in the mail only mentions the requirement that part time 4WD be disengaged and I then feared this might translate into disabling AWD.

All that being said, should I ever need to use the spare, I am still unsure what fuse to use to disable AWD!