Jump to content


Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Photo
- - - - -

Electrical question, 2000 Legacy


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

    Subaru Master

  • Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 10 October 2003 - 05:40 AM

The positive terminal of our '00 keeps oxiding up. In spite of a felt collar and dielectric grease it develops a corrosion node the size of a golf ball in about four weeks. The OEM clamp actually corroded away, and I replaced it with a lead universal clamp, cleaned everything and prepped it in mid September. Yesterday The Pretty One needed a jump after listening to the radio for 1/2 hour while parked. This was after two hours of high speed driving, so the connection was obviously bad enough to stop the juice.

What's going on; in the dim recess of my aging brain I seem to remember that this is a sign of overcharging?

No other symptoms.

#2 frag

frag

    Soob shade tree mechanic

  • Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:57 AM

What about a fine crack in the battery case letting the acid seep out??
Just a possibility.

#3 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

    Subaru Master

  • Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 10 October 2003 - 07:07 AM

I took the battery out and washed it, I saw no sign of cracks. The battery is less than a year old. Doesn't seem to use abnormal amounts of electrolyte either.

#4 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

    USMB is life!

  • Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:03 AM

I still agree that is sounds like you have a fine crack, maybe even too small for you to detect, in the battery. In my own opnion, I would try a new battery. However one preventive measure you could try would be to purchuse some corrosion preventitive spray, also sometimes called "battery spray". It tends to work a bit better than dielectric grease.

#5 ferret

ferret

    Subaru Nut

  • Members
  • 668 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:52 AM

If you replaced the battery a year ago or so, I would question why?
If you have access to a good / calibrated DVM, check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. IT should be 14.1 - 14.7. What you describe is often overlooked as overcharging. This was more common up thru the mid '70's when many vehicles still used a relay based regulator, but I have come across it on internally regulated alternators as Subaru uses.
Just a thought.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users