Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cut out at speed and idle problems

has anyone experienced a problem that is speratic of the engine just shutting down at speed and then restarting itself in a split second, it got worst today and then it started to not idle at a stop this all started to happen in the last week. i've only had this car for 3 weeks now but this is annoying. this is in an 84' wagon 4x4 with 4spd d/r. thanks, Chaz

ok, i know its not a fusible link, it doesn't cut the whole car off, electrical system is still functioning and i'm not replacing anything to get it going again.

does the EA81 have a throttle postioning sensor????

i thought those we're only on fuel injection not carb. cars and if they had a throttle postioning sensor then we couldn't put on weber carbs. on our cars either. if i'm wrong please correct me on this.

How is the upper bearing in the distributor?

i didn't check it during the tune up but i did replace the coil and i'm going to change the fuel pump to eliminate any possible starvation issues plus both fuel filters they look pretty old i didn't get a chance to due those filters yet just the others and plugs,wires,cap,rotor, etc. and compression test.

yeah mine only seem to do it when it was cold but the RPMs we're lower mostly at cruising speed. i two have thought about the coil and went and bought one to go with my tune up but i haven't been able to drive it since. the previous owner messed up the sparkplug threads, so now i can't keep one of my plugs in to drive it so now i have to pull the head and fix that too.:banghead:

• 1 month later...