Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No start 98 Legacy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Helsley

Chris Helsley

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Elkton

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:17 PM

I am experiencing a problem with a 2.5 engine that will not start.I have good compression and good fire but it sounds like it is out of time.I pulled the front covers to double check timing and it looks like it is all correctly aligned.I was experiencing poor engine performance and had the engine scanned and the only code that came up was cam position sensor and I have replaced that.
When checking spark with a tester that I purchased after making the mistake of checking coil by shorting to a screwdriver,I have a spark about 1/2 inch long but it isn't a real hot blue spark but kind of pink looking.I am wondering if I have messed up the control module.
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

is it throwing any codes now? you might have fried the ignitor by arcing it to a screwdriver.

~Josh~

#3 Chris Helsley

Chris Helsley

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Elkton

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

I don't have a way to access codes without being able to drive it.I liked the old subies with ability to display codes without a special reader.
What are the symptoms of a bad igniter?Is it likely to cause spark timing issues?
By the way ,I really appreciate the access to a whole lot of supportive Subaru fans.

#4 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

I am experiencing a problem with a 2.5 engine that will not start. [...]

If you haven't seen these already, they might be useful:
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IgnitionCoil.pdf
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/DirectIgnition.pdf
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/IgnitionCoilSum04.pdf

An exact sequence of what you checked/replaced relative to when the no-start problem began might help with diagnosis.

Do you have spark on cylinders 1 & 2 and 3 & 4? A hot spark requires things be right on the primary side; is the battery in good shape, are connections clean? How's the cranking speed?

You mentioned compression and spark; assuming air is getting there, is fuel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users