Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alaska Canada Highway-advice?

Hello All

I have some questions about the Alcan highway journey from Portland. I have read a few threads on the subject and have a few more questions. First i have a 97 OB with 73K on it and am really hoping to gather any info about Subaru shops along the drive or any mechanics with Subaru knowledge. If something happens that is beyond my scope-which wouldnt take alot- i would feel much better with a few numbers or cities to pull into. So really i guess i am calling all Canadians who live along the Alcan highway that maybe able to give some advice on mechanics.

We are planning on leaving mid April- a little early but want to get up to Seward early this year. im originally from Palmer, but since moving away Seward has been the city that has called me back 6 of the last 10 summers. i always fly up and am excited to do the drive.

thanks any advice on getting back up there in one peice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

There are two highways to AK: the Alcan and the Casear. I prefer the Casear because it's shorter by about 150 miles, and it's got 100 miles of gravel around Dease Lake. That section would be very fun in your car:). The Alcan is also more mountainous if I remember correctly.

There isn't much in Canada as far as Subaru shops, but you shouldn't have much trouble. Like Matt said, there are some Canadian board members, and they would know more than I do.

One thing to keep in mind: parts can be HARD to get up here without having to order them and wait two weeks for delivery. I would bring spare CV axles with you, as well as belts and hoses. Also, get your car thoroughly checked out before you leave, specifically have them check the timing belt, the cooling system, the suspension, and the drivetrain.

Brad (torxxx) lives in Fairbanks, and he can help you out up there. Matt (northguy) is near Anchorage. I'm down in southeast in Haines, which is off your route by 150 miles, but if you're broken down anywhere, give me a call and I'll see what I can do to help. I've got a lot of tools and parts, as well as access to a truck and a tow dolley if it were to come down to that. If I've got the time, I'll drive anywhere to help a stranded Subaru.

If you've got the time, I truly would recommend taking the 150 mile detour down the Haines. It's a really nice place to visit, with tons of outdoor-type stuff to do if you're interested.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask. PM me for my phone number before you leave.