Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK folks, this is normally something i can fix myself, but recovering from 2 back surgeries i cant, so i need my mechanic to do it. i have a long list of things i cant do from the Dr til sept :(

The rear tailgate latch assembly is rusted so bad the tailgate wont open (97 OBW). The handle will move to the open position and stay there. It wil not spring back. I can hear the locking solenoid operate so i am assuming that is ok.

i need to know how to get into the tailgate, and what parts i need to order. The more specific the better.

thanks

nipper

OK folks, this is normally something i can fix myself, but recovering from 2 back surgeries i cant, so i need my mechanic to do it. i have a long list of things i cant do from the Dr til sept :(

The rear tailgate latch assembly is rusted so bad the tailgate wont open (97 OBW). The handle will move to the open position and stay there. It wil not spring back. I can hear the locking solenoid operate so i am assuming that is ok.

i need to know how to get into the tailgate, and what parts i need to order. The more specific the better.

thanks

nipper

First try pushing the latch as far as you can into the fully closed position.

Then work your power latch.

It should open...........

What is happening is your latch is not fully releasing its handle so not opening. You have to make sure the handle is all the way back to where it should be and try again..........

swi66