Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tailgate wont open

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:15 PM

OK folks, this is normally something i can fix myself, but recovering from 2 back surgeries i cant, so i need my mechanic to do it. i have a long list of things i cant do from the Dr til sept :(
The rear tailgate latch assembly is rusted so bad the tailgate wont open (97 OBW). The handle will move to the open position and stay there. It wil not spring back. I can hear the locking solenoid operate so i am assuming that is ok.
i need to know how to get into the tailgate, and what parts i need to order. The more specific the better.

thanks

nipper

#2 swi66

swi66

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Gasport NY

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

OK folks, this is normally something i can fix myself, but recovering from 2 back surgeries i cant, so i need my mechanic to do it. i have a long list of things i cant do from the Dr til sept :(
The rear tailgate latch assembly is rusted so bad the tailgate wont open (97 OBW). The handle will move to the open position and stay there. It wil not spring back. I can hear the locking solenoid operate so i am assuming that is ok.
i need to know how to get into the tailgate, and what parts i need to order. The more specific the better.

thanks

nipper

First try pushing the latch as far as you can into the fully closed position.
Then work your power latch.
It should open...........

What is happening is your latch is not fully releasing its handle so not opening. You have to make sure the handle is all the way back to where it should be and try again..........
swi66

#3 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your back surgery.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your back surgery.

Thanks. The first one in january failed, hence the 2nd one to fix the first (ugh)

nipper

#5 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

When you replace a transmission and it fails, and you have to go back in again, that's bad, but a back....:(

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:21 AM

Well sprayed the piss out of the handle, so got the hatch to latch to open and close properly make the alarm happy. Going to order new parts for the latch to fix this. Thanks all

nipper

#7 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

Wouldn't you just need the plate and no actual moving parts?? Hope your back is good now, for good.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

Wouldn't you just need the plate and no actual moving parts?? Hope your back is good now, for good.

im thinking plate and whatever spring there is

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users