Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

tranny cooler question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:30 AM

thinking about adding a tranny cooler to my 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd wagon, after i get a new 2 row radiator + changing the tranny fluid to red line , my question is how heavy duty should it be ? no towing with it either + a good place to buy one ?

#2 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,975 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:36 AM

I think they only come in 3 sizes, you'll want the small one. It will be more than enough to keep the fluid cool. I've installed many of them on various models of 4X4 trucks, many of which are used to plow snow. That's hard on tranny fluid, heat wise.

When mounting one in a vehicle, I like putting the connection tubes in the downward position. Doing so, will insure that you're filling the entire cooler, and not creating an air pocket in it.

Should be able to find one at your local parts store. Thinking them small ones have 3/8" tube for connection to tranny lines.

#3 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

ok, and of course one with a t-stat ,

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,975 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

They don't come with T-stat.

Best way to install one, is to remove the lines from the radiator and run them to the cooler.

Alternative method, is to install the cooler after the radiator. To do this, you leave supply line going to radiator as is, then you run the return line from the radiator to the cooler then to the tranny. The top line on the radiator, should be the return line.

Fuel line hose will work, length needed depends on where you mount cooler. I do my best to get 2 clamps on each connection to insure that hose won't come off. Also, be sure that hoses are ran so they can't be caught and pulled off.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

the smallest one like he said.

#6 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

any ball park price of the small tranny coolers? any brand name ones that might be better than others

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:33 AM

brand name shouldn't matter on these. advanced auto carries the smallest one in a kit for 30 bucks. contains hose, clamps and tie downs as well.

i don't use the tie downs that go through the radiator, it's annoying. remove the fans, pressing stuff through the radiator and damaging fins. then you have to cut them to remove the radiator. i ziptie the end to the center hood latch support.

bypass the radiator ATF lines completely, no need to use those.

#8 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users