Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DAMN How in the #$%^!!!

tring to do the ea81 shifter slop mod. But I can't get the shifter off so I am attempting to drill it out from underneath.How in the hell do I drill it? Its dulling some titanium bits that I bought after a much smaller bit(high speed steel or carbon steel) broke of in there. Over about an hour and a half my progress is measured in thousandths of an inch. So how do I drill it or how do I remove the shifter to hit it with a milling machine?

tring to do the ea81 shifter slop mod. But I can't get the shifter off so I am attempting to drill it out from underneath.How in the hell do I drill it? Its dulling some titanium bits that I bought after a much smaller bit(high speed steel or carbon steel) broke of in there. Over about an hour and a half my progress is measured in thousandths of an inch. So how do I drill it or how do I remove the shifter to hit it with a milling machine?

Well - here's my thoughts on this - been meaning to fix the slop on mine as I have soooo much other stuff to do before I get around to the 5 speed.

Are you drilling the hole, or the roll pins? The roll pins just punch out with a pin punch. Anyway - if you have a broken bit in there, it's going to be much harder. Best to drop the tranny at that point so you can get more stank on it. Use a lot of cutting oil to prevent the bit from going dull in minutes.

I have come up with a new approach but have yet to try it - get two of those hardened hex set screws and drill holes on either side of the shifter. Grind some flat spots on the transmission rod, and reef those set screws down till it doesn't move..... here's a pic I whipped up:

shifter_fix.jpg

GD

Sure - just unbolt it from the engine, and the trans x-member. Whole thing will just fall out basically. Oh - and the driveline, but that's only a few bolts on the diff.

I use a rope around the tailshaft and up through the shifter hole, and then slammed in the door, one person lifting from under the hood with the starter hole, and a myself underneath to manhandle it back into place when you go for the re-install. Not hard at all. Another trick - don't bother with the clutch alignment tool - just loosen the PP and then tighten the bolts through the starter hole.

Gd