Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

97 OBW binding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aksnokat

aksnokat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Homer, Kenia Penninsula

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

I appreciate the info you all give on here. I wonder if anyone could tell me if the AT OIL TEMP light will come on if its just a binding problem, or is it more serious. If I could just get away with a fluid flush for 100 bucks, that would be great. Any ideas?

#2 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

First things first :) . Are you saying the AT temp light is coming on? If so, when and how? Trans hot, or cold? Lighting steadily, or flashing? If flashing, is at a sequence of longs and shorts (a trouble code)? If a code, what is it? More info, please.

#3 aksnokat

aksnokat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

When I start the car, it flashes for equal lenghts 16 times, and thats all. However, sometimes, rarely, it doesnt come on at all.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Do you feel torque bind?

nipper

#5 OB99W

OB99W

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

When I start the car, it flashes for equal lenghts 16 times, and thats all. However, sometimes, rarely, it doesnt come on at all.

I believe that indicates a general electrical problem. The first thing I'd suggest is looking for loose/corroded connections, especially grounds. If nothing is obvious, have someone check for trouble codes.

#6 aksnokat

aksnokat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

Do you feel torque bind?

nipper

Yes, I think thats what you would call it. When turning sharp, I get some tire slippage.

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Yes, I think thats what you would call it. When turning sharp, I get some tire slippage.

i think you may have a duty C solenoid failure. Thats what its starting to sound like. If you didnt have the flashing light i would say flush the tranny. The flashing light needs to be investigated. If its a duty C failure it can chew up your tranny, and nothing you can do about it untill the duty c solenoid is fixed. i am assuming all your tires match, have the same wear, and same inflation..

#8 OB99W

OB99W

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:36 AM

Nipper, wouldn't an open circuit connection that prevented the transfer duty solenoid (Duty Solenoid C) from being powered have the same effect? I'm mentioning that because Aksnokat reported that the flashing sometimes wasn't happening, which could indicate an intermittent connection.

For the curious, or those comfortable enough with their skills to get more deeply into the problem, there's info available including how to read trans trouble codes for certain model years via the ATF OIL TEMP light:
http://endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAatPh2Win04.pdf
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAT.pdf
http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/02Winter4EATDiagServ.pdf
http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetrain/02Winter4EATTransOp.pdf

Code "24" indicates a "C" solenoid-related problem.

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

He says rarely it doesnt come on, which tends to make me beleive the solenoid is having issues. What i would do is find the connector(s) for the duty c solenoid, disconect them, inspect the wires (espescially at the tranny) reconnect them. Just disconnecting and re connecting is usually enough to clean them up and see if the problem goes away. If it came on after hitting a bump, ild be suspect of a bad connection.
Here is a question, does it do it when you start the car cold, hot, or every start.

nipper

#10 aksnokat

aksnokat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

It does it every start. Except like I said, very rarely it wont flash. Meanwhile I will check the connectors underneath. Thanks

#11 aksnokat

aksnokat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:08 PM

I did like you said and disconnected all connections to the tranny, waited awhile and reconnected them. When I first started the car the light didnt come on. I turned it off and right back on, and the light was back. Im going to try and decipher from the manual in those links above, which code Im getting. Light comes on for about 2 sec. then rapid even flashes of about 1/2 sec. for 16 times.

#12 aksnokat

aksnokat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

I disconnected all wires to the tranny, but that did not fix the light or the binding. I wish someone knew what the 2 sec. light followed by the 16 1/2 sec. flashes means. Is there anyway of finding out myself or do I need to have it diagnosed my dealer mechanic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users