Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some noobie questions

As some of you know I bought that 73 gl race car...the one that was on ebay.

I am very new to these vintage subarus and would like to find out some info about the cars of that area.

Now my car has the 1.3 liter with a 5 speed manual trans. The oe engine and trans was 1.4l and 4 speed manual trans. I assume the cases for the trans' are identical or at least the bellhousing/shifter linkage/driveshaft outputs/ etc... are the same. Do the 4 speed and 5 speed use the same differential? Was the OE differential a limited slip or a standard 1 drive wheel dif?

It appears that the axle shaft on the drivers side is smaller in diameter than the one on the passenger side. Is this the case? Can you use axle shafts from other models on my car?

Is there still a good reliable source for oe equivelant parts like brake kits, engine gaskets, trans gears, boots, seals, bearings etc... I have checked on ebay and found a few things. I know brakes are still available.

Has anyone put say an EA82 in these cars? I assume you would need a modified engine cradle but has it been done with that or some other motor?

The 1.3 and 1.4 use the same block and heads with just a larger bore, right? I was betting the 1.6 was all different with longer stroke and larger bore. Am I right?

I think that is enough for this thread lol I will start another one for fluids.

Thank you for you help with this info:)

I'll answer at least some of your questions later.I'm sorry,but I know I don't have the time right now.

Later on I'll break out the factory parts manual and clue you in on what should be what.

Meanwhile,maybe someone else will help out too.

Just saw that you've got many questions and I know you want to get some answers soon.Talk to you later.

Paul

I'll give a few of these a shot.

The differential in both transmissions are open diffs but the final drive ration is different between the two.

Off the top of my head I can only think of two reason why one shaft is bigger. 1st is that the axle with the bigger shaft is from a later model with 4wd but I can't remember if Gen1 4wd axles had bigger shafts or not. 2nd is the aftermarket supplier of the axle with small shaft simply chose to use a smaller shaft.

Brake pads and shoes are still available the last time I checked. Some engine gaskets maybe harder to find then others but Subaru continued to use some of them in the EA71 EA81 and EA82 engines too. I'm not sure about trans gears. I think you can still get CV boots from a dealer that cares (i.e. willing to look them up and order them). Wheeling bearing should not be too hard to get.

I have not seen a EA82 in a Gen1 Stage1 but a couple have found their way into Gen1 Stage2 Subarus.

My info isn't the best about the 1.3 and 1.4 engines. If I remember right the 1.3 was a JDM engine that was later imported to the US as used engines. There were 2 versions of the 1.4 engine and the better of the two was stroked out to become the 1.6.

The 1100-1600 engines all had the same stroke, with the displacements varying by bore size. Both the 1100 and the 1300 were used in the FF1. The 1300, 1400, and 1600 were all used in the "gen 1" or "Leone" car line. The 1300 was phased out about the time the 1600 was introduced, and the 1400 disappeared shortly thereafter. The 1100, 1300, and early 1400 all had the intake valves inboard and the exhaust valves outboard in the head, with an exhaust port on each end of the head. Later 1400s and 1600s had inboard exhaust/outboard intake valves with single exhaust ports on the bottom of the heads. The 1800 was the first Subaru H4 with a longer stroke than the previous engines.

Thank you. That is some very good info. I would still like to hear from you moosens when you get some time. I would like to get an LSD. I have a locked posi right now and it is a bit too much for the kind of racing I'm doing. Next year I might get into the road racing and the posi would be good then.

I just bought a complete set of Microfiche for all 1971 thru 1998 Subaru's except SVX and Justy off ebay for $20. I know it isn't the best method for finding info but I will have it.

Now I just have to find a microfiche reader.

As some of you know I bought that 73 gl race car...the one that was on ebay.

Yes,good luck with it.

I am very new to these vintage subarus and would like to find out some info about the cars of that area.

We'll do our best to help out.I also recommend trying to find a mechanic from that era..

Now my car has the 1.3 liter with a 5 speed manual trans. The oe engine and trans was 1.4l and 4 speed manual trans.

I thought all coupes had a fivespeed.My '73 1400GL Coupe has one,I'm pretty sure.It's parked at my parent's house,but I'm almost positive it's the fivespeed,not four.

I assume the cases for the trans' are identical or at least the bellhousing/shifter linkage/driveshaft outputs/ etc... are the same. Do the 4 speed and 5 speed use the same differential? Was the OE differential a limited slip or a standard 1 drive wheel dif?

One wheel drive...:-p but still fun.I'm not sure if the racer before you made it locking,but I doubt it.Parts manual shows every stub axle to be the same for every car thru the line from 1400 2 and 4WD thru the 1600 Stage II Brat.I think the bellhousings are all the same back then from 1300-1400.Not so sure about the shifter linkage though.

It appears that the axle shaft on the drivers side is smaller in diameter than the one on the passenger side. Is this the case? Can you use axle shafts from other models on my car?

Weird,but I'm guessing it's an EA81 shaft,which some folks tell us work fine,just a slight size difference.

Is there still a good reliable source for oe equivelant parts like brake kits, engine gaskets, trans gears, boots, seals, bearings etc... I have checked on ebay and found a few things. I know brakes are still available.

THere's plenty of brake sets,gaskets,and more on eBay.There's some good guys there who consistantly have old Subaru parts.

Has anyone put say an EA82 in these cars? I assume you would need a modified engine cradle but has it been done with that or some other motor?

If I answered this I'd have to kill you.:lol: Just kidding.I'm sure it can be done but I'm not one to speak a word on it.Good luck if you turn that direction.Let me know what you're doing with the 1300,1400 parts if you do.:)

The 1.3 and 1.4 use the same block and heads with just a larger bore, right? I was betting the 1.6 was all different with longer stroke and larger bore. Am I right?

I think that is enough for this thread lol I will start another one for fluids.

Thank you for you help with this info:)

OK