Ultimate Subaru Message Board

missing and much lower MPG! help!

according to my dad our 01 legacy is having some issues...

he says its 'missing' while accelerating and we got about 100km less in the last tank of gas...

i asked him and he's posative that its not throwing on the CEL...

any ideas?

possibly due for a timing belt change??? (as far as i know its never been done and its got about 85-90k miles on it...:eek:)

could that be the problem?

Even without the CEL on get the car to an autzone and see if they can pull the codes, if any. ALso check it while the car is running, and even better if it can be done while its missing. If it's an intimetant problem it may not trip a code. Also the puter isnt the end all to solve a cars issues, its just another tool.

Its going to be due for a timing belt (105K i think), The belt either breaks or jump a tooth, The timing belt is cogged so when it does slip, it actually jumps.

Now that your confused on that. Under what conditions does the car miss. Is the car hot or cold or all the time. Is it more likely to do it in the morning or doesnt it matter. Is it missing under deceleration, acceleration, steady speed or all the time.Is this an automatic or manual. DId this start all of a sudden after getting a tank of gas?

nipper

Have the air fuel ratio sensor inspected, if can fail and not set codes. You need to monitor the fuel trim in order to determine if the air fuel ratio sensor is working properly. Secondly, remove the spark plug wires and look for oil in the tubes, you may have oil contaminating the ignition wires. Good luck.