Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 SW 1800 stalls

Hi, my 84 sw with a 1800 carburated engine with a 5 speed keeps stalling. When I look in the float chamber window there is no gas. Then i try restarting the engine for about 3 trys, the float fills up and off i go. Is this a problem anyone else has ever had? The filters are new and the fuel pump is working and the carb was cleaned and rebult with a kit and it runs great. Does the fuel pump shut of while driving for some reason? Some times i can drive all over and no problems, other times i conk out after about 4 miles. Thanks Mike

AND!!! Be sure you get the various carb vent hoses connected to their respective vacuum-controlled check valves. I can't be more specific, except to say that it took me a year to figure out which went where and cure the intermittent fuel starvation/flooding problems. Maybe someone here has the correct illustrations for this and can post them:confused:

hey thanks for the advice, I manually worked that stupid float needle and it did not appear to stick but i suspect it. When i had the carb apart I could not get to old float needle valve out so I cleaned it real good and put it back together. Is there a trick to getting a brass float valve out of a pot metal carb top. I was afraid to booger it up any more after the screwdriver wallowed out the top of the the darn thing. . mike