Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

84 SW 1800 stalls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smelly_cat

smelly_cat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hi, my 84 sw with a 1800 carburated engine with a 5 speed keeps stalling. When I look in the float chamber window there is no gas. Then i try restarting the engine for about 3 trys, the float fills up and off i go. Is this a problem anyone else has ever had? The filters are new and the fuel pump is working and the carb was cleaned and rebult with a kit and it runs great. Does the fuel pump shut of while driving for some reason? Some times i can drive all over and no problems, other times i conk out after about 4 miles. Thanks Mike

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Float needle and seat are sticking in the closed or partially closed position. I've had that on a couple of Hitachi's. Very annoying. Some rebuild kits are poor quality.

Could be a short in the fuel pump circuit or a bad fuel pump control unit too.

GD

#3 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

AND!!! Be sure you get the various carb vent hoses connected to their respective vacuum-controlled check valves. I can't be more specific, except to say that it took me a year to figure out which went where and cure the intermittent fuel starvation/flooding problems. Maybe someone here has the correct illustrations for this and can post them:confused:

#4 smelly_cat

smelly_cat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:11 PM

hey thanks for the advice, I manually worked that stupid float needle and it did not appear to stick but i suspect it. When i had the carb apart I could not get to old float needle valve out so I cleaned it real good and put it back together. Is there a trick to getting a brass float valve out of a pot metal carb top. I was afraid to booger it up any more after the screwdriver wallowed out the top of the the darn thing. . mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users