Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally!

Well, after almost 2 years of posting here and on the old board, ive finally bought a soob. had her checked out today and the mechanic said she's in beautiful shape. the engine noise i wrote about a while back turns out to be just some valve noise, and nothing to worry about. so, now ive got to do the fluid changes and a tune up for my own piece of mind. oh, 1 thing..in the records that were in the rig, it says that the timing belts were changed at 58,000...it now has 143000 on it, and my mechanic says at that mileage, the must have been changed again, as they would have blown out by now...so, is there some way i could verify when they were changed the second time?? just dont want em to go on me whilst on some mountain pass this winter...

well, id write more but gotta go pick up a haynes before i head to work...

cheers

If your going in to do the T-belts and dont want to go back there any time soon (although its not that hard), here's a few other things I'd think about doing:

cam seals

front main seal

oil pump seal

water pump (like calebz said)

None of this stuff is very expensive or to hard to do... have fun. :)

Gary

Well, lets see.. i have here an invoice for work done on it in april..previous owner bought it in february, but then the clutch went out..dealer agreed to split the repair costs, and some other work was done in addition to clutch.. as follows....

both front axles

manual transmission vent as per recall

rear main seal

both valve cover gaskets and oil seal

then theres a 20$ shop charge next to the water pump

then next to belts there is a 25.24 parts charge and a 117.00 labor charge...i'm now assuming that means the timing belts, but am not completely sure..so, will be going over to the dealer tomorrow to inquire.. in any case, a smokin deal at 1500...body is in good condition with only 3 nickel sized surface rust spots and a couple very small dings...

it took almost 2 years, but i finally found one... :banana:

Welcome to "the family" BT. Glad you decided to get in on the good Subaru action.

The T belts should be replaced at 60k mile intervals so you should be on the third set since new. The prices you show for parts and labor seem a bit low for timing belts but labor would be too high for the other belts, so you may be ok in that area.

Get some good tires if you don't already have some on. You will like the drive in the winter.